What Language for a future Network Admin?

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

What Language for a future Network Admin?

Post by LostinCyberia on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:51 am
([msg=68327]see What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

Hello everyone.. I hope someday to become a Network or system administrator, and if I get passed that, work as a security administrator, or work in cryptography. Anyway I wanted to know if knowing a language would help in this. I've been told to learn C or something simple like python. I know network admin's aren't programmers, but should still be able to put together a simple piece of code or two if they need something run. Any idea's what I should start with? I'm not looking to master any language, just be profiecient in it.
Remember what the dor-mouse said; Feed your head.
LostinCyberia
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?

Post by Jonnycake on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:42 am
([msg=68334]see Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

If you don't already know any language, I would suggest python as well. Its very easy to learn, makes it easy to learn other languages afterwards, and only needs an interpreter which is available on all major operating systems (making your code fairly portable). Other than that, as far as being a network admin goes, I would say learn bash scripting (or batch if you will be using windows servers) - while its not really programming, it will make it easy for you to automate everyday tasks and I'm sure you will spend quite a bit of time working in a shell environment so it will help there as well. Good luck!
Jonnycake
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:24 pm
([msg=68365]see Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

If you've ever heard of Perl, then you'll know that it is usually the norm for Network Admins. Ask Kage, he's a network administrator and he codes Perl shizz all the time. Perl also happens to be high level, so it's not as bad as something like ASM. And on top of that, Perl happens to be my favorite programming language. :P

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by centip3de on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:20 pm
([msg=68377]see Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

mShred wrote:so it's not as bad as something like ASM.

Ouch. :/

Anyway, I would suggest Python for OP as well. If he wants to understand the basic gist of any given code, he needs to learn a programming language that is easy to read and doesn't have random-ass symbols freaking everywhere (-ahem- Perl -ahem-). And as far as I know, Python has just as many libraries as Perl, and could help in the exact same way, without being confusing as hell.

Edit: Fixed BBCode
Last edited by centip3de on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mShred on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:07 pm
([msg=68380]see Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

Perl's confusing as symbols aren't confusing once you get it down. Learning Perl first could teach him proper indentation and structure for coding as we all know python does not. Perl was designed to be a scripting language for Network Administrators. Python is just the language people use when they want to take the easiest route possible.. But meh, it's up to OP. Who ya gonna go with? Moderator, or someone who uses a cartoon tiger as their avatar.....

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Post by anarchy420x on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:31 pm
([msg=68383]see Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

Hobbes is awesome...

Speaking of language, don't take the language in this to offense.

A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:51 pm
([msg=68390]see Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
mShred wrote:so it's not as bad as something like ASM.

Ouch. :/

lol, I knew this was coming while I was reading it in mShred's post. Anyway, without totally hijacking the thread you may also want to look into shell scripting if you'll be using *nix OS's.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:14 pm
([msg=68392]see Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

mShred wrote:Perl's confusing as symbols aren't confusing once you get it down.

Right, but the fact is that you have to get them down. With Python, there are no symbols (ish) to get down, so the learning is much faster and easier; thus, making it easier for someone who has little to no experience with programming.

mShred wrote:Learning Perl first could teach him proper indentation and structure for coding as we all know python does not.

As far as I know, Python is an indentation based language...

mShred wrote:Python is just the language people use when they want to take the easiest route possible..

If the easier route works, is pretty efficiant, and fits your needs, why would you do it the hard way? That's like building a game enigine in C vs ASM.

mShred wrote:But meh, it's up to OP. Who ya gonna go with? Moderator, or someone who uses a cartoon tiger as their avatar.....

Oh right, I forgot an eye is better than Hobbes. ;)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by LostinCyberia on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:03 pm
([msg=68398]see Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

Lol, I didn't mean to start a war here.. Well the thing is I just passed my A+ and Network+ certification, and I'm amping up my consumption of computer knowledge, so I was thinking that some sort of high programming language would aid me later in my career. You are right, I've seen Perl referenced many times on Job Apps. I'll take your advice, and learn some of both...Again i'm not looking to master the language, but just be proficient where I can schedule some simple tasks, write some code...and understand it. Thanks guys!
Remember what the dor-mouse said; Feed your head.
LostinCyberia
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:27 pm
([msg=68400]see Re: What Language for a future Network Admin?[/msg])

8-) win.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Programming