How to be safe on pirate bay?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

How to be safe on pirate bay?

Post by xTractatorix on Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:48 pm
([msg=68318]see How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

So yes as stated above how can i be safe while downloading files on piratebay.I know i should use a proxy, probably Tor. If anyone has any other tips, it would be appreciated.
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?

Post by Amazingred on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:23 pm
([msg=68320]see Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

A question for you before i offer up my opin...

Where you access the internet are there any other nearby networks that you could gain access to? I''m only asking because weather or not you can piggy another network depends on how i would do it...

...On an unrelated note, greetings HTS. First forum post...
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by xTractatorix on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 pm
([msg=68321]see Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

Amazingred wrote:A question for you before i offer up my opin...<br><br>Where you access the internet are there any other nearby networks that you could gain access to? I''m only asking because weather or not you can piggy another network depends on how i would do it...<br><br>...On an unrelated note, greetings HTS. First forum post...

I see where your going with this, and i was thinking of doing this also, but is that really necesary when already using tor?And yes i do have acess to a wireless network near me.
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Amazingred on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 pm
([msg=68322]see Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

I didn't have to wear my kevlar last time i was deployed either.....still did tho. If its there and its a strong signal then its easy enough to mask your pc id and piggy that other connection. Could be overkill but when all else fails, make sure the end of the line stops somewhere else. Just my opinion
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mookalovesgloop on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:54 pm
([msg=68324]see Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

peace
i've been struggling to find a satisfactory solution for this very issue...i had a thread entitled "tor tips" where i got a great link that explained why tor doesn't do all that you might expect when it comes to privacy and torrenting...for now i'm laying off downloading especially since my isp is a widely used and large company *sighs* and all of the networks around me are locked up or too weak reception for me to tag along....any ideas? :?:

*i've also heard that the forced protocol encryption isn't really worth a crap either

the aforementioned link ~_~ https://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittor ... -good-idea
peace and blessings
mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by xTractatorix on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 am
([msg=68331]see Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

I find it strange Mr Shred, centipede, or limdis have posted anyhting on this subject, i have a feeling they would know some thing on this subject...
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by limdis on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:17 pm
([msg=68337]see Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

xTractatorix wrote:I find it strange Mr Shred, centipede, or limdis have posted anyhting on this subject, i have a feeling they would know some thing on this subject...

"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by Amazingred on Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:03 pm
([msg=68343]see Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

This isn't the first time I've seen this discussion recently. There are a lot of different opinions on what the best way to cloak yourself is. I'm not going to say one way is better than the other because digital security standards change so frequently by the time this post finishes it may no longer be valid.

What i WILL do is give you my own personal preference on the subject. First things first...i'm new to HTS (i was a member many years ago and just returned recently) but one thing that you will come to know about me in the future (if you let me hang out) is I ALWAYS prefer non traditional solutions. Here is my solution...

Think outside the box: I don't download shared files to my own machines because its NOT THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT...for those of you old dogs you may remember the old moniker of computer security was that if you wanted your pc to be secure, don't plug it into the phone. Same concept, more advanced technology.

HTS is a great tool to teach you the technical details about the TOOLS but that doesn't mean there is only one way to actually do it. For example there are a lot of places that have public computers that are EASY to set up for remote access. There is not much security countermeasures because there isn't any DATA to steal but you can just as easily set these machines up to download your data for you and then every once in a while you can return to the machine and copy the files to a portable device to return to your computer.

After you guys get to know me a bit more i'll start putting up some articles and how to's. Just step back and think of ANOTHER way to get the file from the sharers to your computer WITHOUT connecting to the nodes yourself...it'll come to you.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:19 pm
([msg=68347]see Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

xTractatorix wrote:I find it strange Mr Shred, centipede, or limdis have posted anyhting on this subject, i have a feeling they would know some thing on this subject...

I, nor any of my compadre's listed, generally post on threads where it seems that the OP will have already gotten his answer (and said answer is correct).

Amazingred wrote:This isn't the first time I've seen this discussion recently. There are a lot of different opinions on what the best way to cloak yourself is. I'm not going to say one way is better than the other because digital security standards change so frequently by the time this post finishes it may no longer be valid.

What i WILL do is give you my own personal preference on the subject. First things first...i'm new to HTS (i was a member many years ago and just returned recently) but one thing that you will come to know about me in the future (if you let me hang out) is I ALWAYS prefer non traditional solutions. Here is my solution...

Think outside the box: I don't download shared files to my own machines because its NOT THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT...for those of you old dogs you may remember the old moniker of computer security was that if you wanted your pc to be secure, don't plug it into the phone. Same concept, more advanced technology.

HTS is a great tool to teach you the technical details about the TOOLS but that doesn't mean there is only one way to actually do it. For example there are a lot of places that have public computers that are EASY to set up for remote access. There is not much security countermeasures because there isn't any DATA to steal but you can just as easily set these machines up to download your data for you and then every once in a while you can return to the machine and copy the files to a portable device to return to your computer.

After you guys get to know me a bit more i'll start putting up some articles and how to's. Just step back and think of ANOTHER way to get the file from the sharers to your computer WITHOUT connecting to the nodes yourself...it'll come to you.

I don't think this long of a post was necessary, or that downloading your files on a different computer is really 'thinking out of the box', however it is one way to solve the problem.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by limdis on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:11 pm
([msg=68350]see Re: How to be safe on pirate bay?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:I, nor any of my compadre's listed, generally post on threads where it seems that the OP will have already gotten his answer (and said answer is correct).

Well, for me I'd say it's that I want to give others a chance to get some proactive research in and a chance to share knowledge. I research a significant number of topics that show up in the forums that I never comment on. This one however is a pretty big question that a lot of people have. Mookalovesgloop mentioned getting that link in her other thread. I slid that in there quietly then back to the shadows I went. However, you need to be cautions when answering questions like this just in general. You don't want to accidentally give yourself away if you know what I mean. But yes, xTractatorix, we do. I'll post a lot of details tomorrow for you guys.

@Amazingred; Welcome back. I'm also a veteran. I always try to say hi to those that swing through here that were in.

Amazingred wrote:After you guys get to know me a bit more i'll start putting up some articles and how to's. Just step back and think of ANOTHER way to get the file from the sharers to your computer WITHOUT connecting to the nodes yourself...it'll come to you.

+1
If you want to go with non traditional methods you have to look at all the angles. There is a flaw in this no connecting method though. Add it to the discussion.

-- Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:58 pm --

Alright as promised, let’s talk about this a bit. First; TOR.

The article previously linked should give you guys a pretty good idea why using Tor for downloading is a bad idea. But honestly, what’s the difference anyway from using Tor and not using Tor if you can still be tracked right? Convenience. Why go through the trouble of getting it all set up just to decrease your download speeds to pigeon carrier? (+1 to the first person that finds the counter argument article lol) Tor just does not have the bandwidth for downloading. It’s not designed that way AND when you do download a bunch of shit it bogs down everyone else that is using Tor.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/to ... doc/TorFAQ

Now we can talk about the ins and outs of Tor all day. But let’s keep this to the original question. How to be safe on pirate bay?

First thing you should do before you start using torrents is you need to research your BitTorrent client of choice before you ever use it. There are some well known clients that, by design, are meant to rape you with all of which you hate when it comes to downloading. Viruses, getting caught, etc. No client is perfect obviously. But seek out the more trusted ones.

Before we can discuss how people get caught lets go over how torrents work in the first place.

BitTorrents are the most popular method of file sharing over a P2P network. When you use a torrent, instead of downloading the entire file from one location you download it from many different locations; in most cases from other users. The torrent itself is NOT the file you want to download. A torrent is a very small file that has the file title, size, how many pieces are in it, how big each piece is, and the tracker information. Torrents have one purpose. That is to initiate communication between you to various locations that the file you want can be downloaded. Once communication has been established the download begins.

How does this work and how people get caught.

Torrents contain links to torrent trackers. A torrent tracker is a host for connections. Piratebay.se is a torrent tracker. Demonoid is also a well known and trusted torrent tracker. (Off topic: http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-to-suf ... ck-120727/) Really those are the only two that I personally trust to get my torrents from. There are other good ones but everyone has their preferences.

Now when you create a torrent you add links to as many trackers are you want. They generally look like this “udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80/announce”. What this does is that for anyone using your torrent, the listed trackers are contacted and ‘asked’ if anyone from their records has the specific file you want. If so, then downloading begins. So if you haven’t guessed it yet, IPs are involved here. You have to have an address to go to to order your pizza and the pizza guys need a place to deliver. Here is where it gets tricky. Trackers by design collect IPs for specific files. So the host for these collections is where you need to watch yourself. Piratebay we all know won’t give those lists up. Now this is very important. Pretty much any site can be made into a torrent tracker. That means that if someone (like the RIAA or Anti-Piracy companies) was to set up their own torrent trackers on an obscure site, add the tracker connections to the torrent, you go to download a movie or whatever (we don’t condone illegal activities btw) with a torrent made by them… they now have your IP address. The next step is to back trace the IP to your ISP with a copyright violation. You are jailed. Welcome to ass pounding.

Wow ok. How do I get around that and how do I know which are safe?

You can view and edit the trackers before the download process begins. Oh yeah. Now sometimes you don’t know which trackers are safe and which aren’t. After a while you will begin to recognize the bigger trusted ones. But when in doubt, delete them off the list OR just find a different torrent. Alright let me show you how to do this:

When you download the torrent you are prompted to run it with your client. The first thing you see before you say ok is this
Click on advanced

Here is the list for this torrent
For purpose of example; when I first saw the underlined one I was hesitant. All you need to do is erase it. Simple.

So if a questionable torrent tracker is not being connected to, your IP is not logged at that location. But what about legitimate locations, can I get in trouble for that traffic?

The only way they could get IP's from the piratebay tracker (or demonoid), is if they themselves were uploading/downloading that torrent and kept track of every IP that they connected to. The problem with this method is that if they do that, (since they OWN the content and they are uploading it themselves) that torrent then becomes LEGAL to download; thus making it ILLEGAL to prosecute you for downloading that file!

On the reverse… you can add in trackers too, to increase download speeds. *hint*

Moving on to other tips:

1. Don’t ever get a torrent from somewhere you don’t trust (or is trusted).
2. Always check dates of the torrent. If a full HD quality movie torrent comes out whilst still in the theater…
3. Check details for the torrent. Make sure everything lines up. No unrealistic number of downloads with very low seeders.
4. COMMENTS. No comments. No download. People bitch when they download a virus.
5. Go over file contents before downloading/extracting.
6. If looking for serial numbers. Just get the txt. Then download the trail version from the actual host site. (this is damn near almost always illegal btw)
7. When in doubt, back out.

- You guys want this in an article?
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Next

Return to General