Construction/Robotics

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Construction/Robotics

Post by VvGHOSTvV on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:56 pm
([msg=68235]see Construction/Robotics[/msg])

OK so I'm not sure what to do here. I want to take things like broken cameras, phones, anything. And take the parts, make something then reprogram it to do what we want. Anyone else interested please hit me up. :ugeek:
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
VvGHOSTvV
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Construction/Robotics

Post by centip3de on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:54 pm
([msg=68260]see Re: Construction/Robotics[/msg])

VvGHOSTvV wrote:OK so I'm not sure what to do here. I want to take things like broken cameras, phones, anything. And take the parts, make something then reprogram it to do what we want. Anyone else interested please hit me up. :ugeek:

Double post? Possibly? Anyway, if you're more interested in hardware, then this isn't the forum for you. I'd suggest checking out Tom's Hardware if that's the case.

Also, you do realize how difficult that is, right?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mShred on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 pm
([msg=68261]see Re: Construction/Robotics[/msg])

centip3de wrote:then this isn't the forum for you.

Wrong. You say it best centip3de, this is a hacking forum. From what I can tell, he's trying to do some hacky hacky.
OP, notice that most people here don't have much experience with hardware. Now, that said, it honestly wouldn't be TOO hard to take things apart once you know what you're doing. But at the same time, it will be straight up difficult for you to reprogram how things work. I'd suggest looking up the arduino. This way, you're balancing between the hardware aspect, and you can manage your own microcontroller, which is the fun hardware stuff you're looking for. As for using other taken-apart things, I'm not sure how compatible they'd be with drivers and such.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by AlfaDog on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:59 pm
([msg=68263]see Re: Construction/Robotics[/msg])

I suggest going on This, to help you learn how to build and program robots.

P.S None of the parts you could scavenge from a camera or a phone would do you any good in constructing a robot.
AlfaDog
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:26 pm
([msg=68264]see Re: Construction/Robotics[/msg])

mShred wrote:OP, notice that most people here don't have much experience with hardware.

This is exactly what I was going off of. Just because this is a hacking forum, doesn't mean that we have a large user base that would know how to go about doing all of this. 99% of all posts on this forum are software related, with the exception of our Hardware subforum that is mainly about people asking each other about computer or server specs. Granted, we most likely have 10 or so people who would have a general idea of how to do this; the skills required to take apart cellphones, find the correct parts that he needs, wire up those parts to other parts, and making sure they're compatible, are just things that the majority of users would have no idea how to do or how to help. Thus, I suggested he go to a forum where these things are talked about on a daily-ish basis, so he could get more help for his project.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by VvGHOSTvV on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:06 pm
([msg=68269]see Re: Construction/Robotics[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
VvGHOSTvV wrote:OK so I'm not sure what to do here. I want to take things like broken cameras, phones, anything. And take the parts, make something then reprogram it to do what we want. Anyone else interested please hit me up. :ugeek:

Double post? Possibly? Anyway, if you're more interested in hardware, then this isn't the forum for you. I'd suggest checking out Tom's Hardware if that's the case.

Also, you do realize how difficult that is, right?

This is not a double post I wanted to make this forum open for any other ideas like mine while the other was specific for my bb. And no I didn't realize how much of a pain this would be. But i do like a good challenge... thanks for the help.
VvGHOSTvV
New User
New User

Post by ghost107 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:20 pm
([msg=68270]see Re: Construction/Robotics[/msg])

First thing I think is you should try to program a stepper(step by step motor), if you want more advance stuff read about servo motors through PLC(Programmable logic controller), or PIC.

http://www.imagesco.com/articles/picstepper/01.html
http://www.imagesco.com/articles/picservo/01.html

But if you're interested in making robotics, I think you should read about Mechatronics Engineering Courses.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by VvGHOSTvV on Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:25 pm
([msg=68277]see Re: Construction/Robotics[/msg])

I know robotics already. I just didnt know if i could use old blackberry parts.
VvGHOSTvV
New User
New User

Post by ghost107 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:41 pm
([msg=68280]see Re: Construction/Robotics[/msg])

You could use your phone, to make your robot, but you still need a micro controller to, to connect to your phone Serial/Bluetooth/wi-fi interface, for your phone to control the robot.

- Things you would need java/C/C++ Knowledge(to make the software for your phone to control your robot)
- And your robot, create a simple robot, then create a bridge to receive the data from your phone(this depends on what technology you're using). For Serial connection you would need a USB microcontroller, for Bluetooth you could use Bluetooth microcontroller or a Bluetooth module connected thru a serial interface(SPI) to a microcontroller, for Wi-fi, it's a little more difficult, you would need a you would need an ethernet controller + microcontroller+wifi module.

But if you want to make an robot out of parts(this depends on what parts do you want to get, SMD are really hard to solder, for example you could use the steppers from broken hard drives, old floppy disks, etc). if you find some DIP/SMD circuits, search for the circuits datasheet and see what that circuit does. When you've gathered your pieces, then you can start making you're robot.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:58 pm
([msg=68281]see Re: Construction/Robotics[/msg])

You might also have issues with the soldering/unsoldering itself because such small devices are usually made by robots, who's hands don't naturally shake, and who are 100% precise.
centip3de

Next

Return to Hardware