Server problems...

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Server problems...

Post by xTractatorix on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:03 pm
([msg=68169]see Server problems...[/msg])

Okay so what i want to do is make a wepage that has a php script that captures and sends me the public ip adress of whoever looked at the site.I have installed Xampp, with Apache and MySQL on my computer and i have the php script ready.The problem is i dont know what to do from that, ive tried researching how to get my server on the internet but all the search results are about hosting companies and ads.I dont even need my webpage to be easily looked up i just need it to be on the internet. Again i want to host my own webpage.
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Server problems...

Post by ghost107 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:08 pm
([msg=68170]see Re: Server problems...[/msg])

Do you have a public IP on your server or on your router?, if its on router you would need to port forward to your server, if its on your server you should already have access to the internet, or your firewall blocks the HTTP port(80).
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:13 pm
([msg=68171]see Re: Server problems...[/msg])

xTractatorix wrote:Okay so what i want to do is make a wepage that has a php script that captures and sends me the public ip adress of whoever looked at the site.I have installed Xampp, with Apache and MySQL on my computer and i have the php script ready.The problem is i dont know what to do from that, ive tried researching how to get my server on the internet but all the search results are about hosting companies and ads.I dont even need my webpage to be easily looked up i just need it to be on the internet. Again i want to host my own webpage.

Your server is on the Internet already, it's just that to access it, somebody has to type in your computers I.P. address + whatever you named your webpage that you're hosting into their URL bar. If you want to have your own '.com', '.net', '.org', '.edu', or whatever, you're going to have to purchase the domain name from a company, like GoDaddy, or something similar. There are, however, free sites that allow you to use their services (such as http://www.webs.com), as long as you're willing to accept the use of a subdomain (Also, I'm not sure they allow PHP scripts to be run). However, you may or may not be able to register your I.P. at a site that allows you to create a free domain name (however you have to use their extension), such as Dot.tk .
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by ghost107 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 pm
([msg=68173]see Re: Server problems...[/msg])

If you don't want to purchase a domain name you could always use no-ip, and dyndns(and respect their terms of use), if you have dynamic IP.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:49 pm
([msg=68208]see Re: Server problems...[/msg])

Hosting will not necessarily cost money.. And like above said, you don't need to pay money for a domain name. But realistically, just like in any situation, if you want the good stuff it's gonna cost you. Your own domain is cheap, fifteen dollars a year. Hosting can be forwarded to your own box through various different methods, dyndns, afraiddns, whatever. That way you manage the box completely from home. But even still, it gets complicated with the IP changes and whatnot.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by xTractatorix on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:01 pm
([msg=68209]see Re: Server problems...[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Your server is on the Internet already, it's just that to access it, somebody has to type in your computers I.P. address + whatever you named your webpage that you're hosting into their URL bar. If you want to have your own '.com', '.net', '.org', '.edu', or whatever, you're going to have to purchase the domain name from a company, like GoDaddy, or something similar. There are, however, free sites that allow you to use their services (such as http://www.webs.com), as long as you're willing to accept the use of a subdomain (Also, I'm not sure they allow PHP scripts to be run). However, you may or may not be able to register your I.P. at a site that allows you to create a free domain name (however you have to use their extension), such as Dot.tk .

Thankyou, i was getting very confused about the whole domain name thing.Also im fine just using the ip adress. So for someone to acess my webpage they would type in xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Webpagename ?
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by mShred on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:06 pm
([msg=68210]see Re: Server problems...[/msg])

Yes. Say your IP address is 5.5.5.5. As long as you have your router forwarding all traffic on port 80 to you own webserver, then when someone visits 5.5.5.5 in the URL bar, they will reach your index page. If your website has a page like website.blah/images/nakedlesbo.jpg then they would type in 5.5.5.5/images/nakedlesbo.jpg.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Networking