Somewhat New..

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Somewhat New..

Post by iiF34rChR15 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:38 am
([msg=67978]see Somewhat New..[/msg])

Alright, so I've been on here for a little while. I started with the Basic Mission 1, as most people would, had no idea what to do, looked at the forum, and started learning some basic HTML and CSS, etc.
I wouldn't say I relied on the forum hints about the mission, but I did use them for basic starting points.
By now, I've finished all but like one or two of the basics. I'm just wondering, what did all of you start to study up on? I know that Javascript, CSS, HTML, and C++ are all needed, but what else is really useful?
There are few things in this world that are perfect:
Math, Science, and HTML.
With them, you're either right, or you're wrong.
There is no gray area.
iiF34rChR15
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Somewhat New..

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:14 am
([msg=67979]see Re: Somewhat New..[/msg])

Needed is relative, what do you want to do?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by iiF34rChR15 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:15 am
([msg=67981]see Re: Somewhat New..[/msg])

Honestly? Nothing in particular. This entire experience has been a ton of fun to me, especially when things got really difficult. I guess programming would be one of the main things though.
Math, Science, and HTML.
There is no gray area.
iiF34rChR15
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:54 am
([msg=67983]see Re: Somewhat New..[/msg])

Look into programing languages like C or C++. You don't need a list to start, just pick something up and go. Do a google search on the languages. if you are unsure of what to pick, learn what they do and think about what you want to do. If you want Hts's opinion, ask with details and ideas. Show you did some work, and you'll get some awesome replies. Goodluck
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:32 pm
([msg=68005]see Re: Somewhat New..[/msg])

iiF34rChR15 wrote:Alright, so I've been on here for a little while. I started with the Basic Mission 1, as most people would, had no idea what to do, looked at the forum, and started learning some basic HTML and CSS, etc.
I wouldn't say I relied on the forum hints about the mission, but I did use them for basic starting points.
By now, I've finished all but like one or two of the basics. I'm just wondering, what did all of you start to study up on? I know that Javascript, CSS, HTML, and C++ are all needed, but what else is really useful?

As far as the missions go you won't need C++, maybe for some programming missions. Unless you are asking what people studied up on in general. In that case basically whatever sparks your interest as mentioned before.

For the missions: html , javascript/javascript injection, sql/sqlinjections, php, unix/linux commands, batch scripting, perl. The forums are like you said, a good starting point. You will eventually branch off at times and start reading things of more interest.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by NukkaXsplasH on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:54 pm
([msg=68010]see Re: Somewhat New..[/msg])

Hello iiF34rChR15 and welcome.

The first thing you should ask yourself is what am I interested in??
If it is game programming, security, databasing, or just to enter the field of programming or computer science.

Although I am new here as well, the reasons why I am here may be different then yours. Personally I am involved in policies and procedures of computer security, here to learn about the technical and coding side of vulnerabilities.

HTML is a great place to start as stated all over this website, it is a top language for web developers. Or are you more interested in application design?? Then take a look at C++ or JAVA.

Give us some of your interests! And start to code! Once the coding has started, it is easier to design and increase the scope of what exactly you want to do with your project.

-NukkaXsplasH
NukkaXsplasH
New User
New User

Post by iiF34rChR15 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:45 am
([msg=68014]see Re: Somewhat New..[/msg])

Wow, you guys have definitely been giving really good ideas.
As for the question of what I'm interested in, I was hoping to maybe learn how to build secure websites and everything for some extra cash - I'm pretty young (turned 16 a few months ago), and there's no age requirement to be a webmaster. I know it sounds a bit pointless but eventually I'd like to be able to maintain some kind of important company's site.
Math, Science, and HTML.
There is no gray area.
iiF34rChR15
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:59 am
([msg=68015]see Re: Somewhat New..[/msg])

iiF34rChR15 wrote:Wow, you guys have definitely been giving really good ideas.
As for the question of what I'm interested in, I was hoping to maybe learn how to build secure websites and everything for some extra cash - I'm pretty young (turned 16 a few months ago), and there's no age requirement to be a webmaster. I know it sounds a bit pointless but eventually I'd like to be able to maintain some kind of important company's site.

Programing and web design are a bit different.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Return to NZone