Request for proof check

Random things go here

Request for proof check

Post by WallShadow on Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:12 pm
([msg=67664]see Request for proof check[/msg])

Good morning everyone!

I recently made a site which I will use for uploading video games. If anyone has a moment, may you please follow the link http://randomsite.net78.net/Games/PlaySnakeGame.htm to my Java Applet based snake game and see if it works. If it doesn't work, please leave some feedback about what went wrong such as what the error consoles say. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to look at it and help me debug it!

-WallShadow <3
User avatar
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Request for proof check

Post by centip3de on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:44 pm
([msg=67898]see Re: Request for proof check[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:Good morning everyone!

I recently made a site which I will use for uploading video games. If anyone has a moment, may you please follow the link "http://randomsite.net78.net/Games/PlaySnakeGame.htm" to my Java Applet based snake game and see if it works. If it doesn't work, please leave some feedback about what went wrong such as what the error consoles say. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to look at it and help me debug it!

-WallShadow <3


Wow, I'm sorry nobody ever checked this for you... but in short, no, I was not able to play your game. I took a screenshot:

http://imgur.com/rbUOW
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Request for proof check

Post by caracarn001 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:14 pm
([msg=67902]see Re: Request for proof check[/msg])

after a java update, I got it to work.

Some things i noticed:
you reset the snake one step to soon (there's always one block left between te snake and the edge of the screen)
try not to use a specific character for an event. Not everyone uses a qwerty keyboard. I believe there's a way for java to get a key's position, but it's been a while since I did anything like that, so I could be mistaken.
User avatar
caracarn001
New User
New User
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Request for proof check

Post by WallShadow on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 pm
([msg=67907]see Re: Request for proof check[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Wow, I'm sorry nobody ever checked this for you... but in short, no, I was not able to play your game. I took a screenshot:

http://imgur.com/rbUOW


Wow, I really didn't expect that. It's just a basic Java Applet, I can't imagine why it wouldn't even be recognized by the browser as a plug-in. Maybe you have something like no-script blocking the Applet?

caracarn001 wrote:Some things i noticed:
you reset the snake one step to soon (there's always one block left between te snake and the edge of the screen)
try not to use a specific character for an event. Not everyone uses a qwerty keyboard. I believe there's a way for java to get a key's position, but it's been a while since I did anything like that, so I could be mistaken.


Thank you caracarn001, I know about the 1 block away from the edge thing, there used to be an image background with a wall one block away from the edge to indicate this but I had to remove it because default Java permissions don't allow the basic retrieval of images as files in the Jar. I had to manually encode all the images in the game as int arrays. And with the size of the background, I decided to leave it out. Fortunately, I recently found a better way to load images with works with default permissions.

As for the keyboard, what do you mean? I've never really seen a game released in the past few years that doesn't use wasd as the basic layout scheme.
User avatar
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Request for proof check

Post by caracarn001 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:55 am
([msg=67912]see Re: Request for proof check[/msg])

The java keyEvent has a method called getKeyLocation(); I think you can use this to seperate the control's key from the control's char. I'm not completely sure though.
User avatar
caracarn001
New User
New User
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Request for proof check

Post by mShred on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:43 pm
([msg=67933]see Re: Request for proof check[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Wow, I'm sorry nobody ever checked this for you...

Shit. I checked the game a few days ago and proceeded to forgot to post that it DID in fact work for me. And it still is today. As for in not working for cent, idunno. Maybe you've got something going down with your Java settings or maybe something is interfering with it.
Image

For those about to rock.
User avatar
mShred
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1767
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Request for proof check

Post by WallShadow on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm
([msg=67936]see Re: Request for proof check[/msg])

Thank you to everyone who checked! I greatly appreciate your help!

-WallShadow <3
User avatar
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 621
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Request for proof check

Post by centip3de on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 am
([msg=67961]see Re: Request for proof check[/msg])

mShred wrote:Shit. I checked the game a few days ago and proceeded to forgot to post that it DID in fact work for me. And it still is today. As for in not working for cent, idunno. Maybe you've got something going down with your Java settings or maybe something is interfering with it.


Yea, it's definitely on my end. Still trying to figure out why it won't work as I know Java is installed... Oh wells, I'll figure it out one day or another.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1467
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Request for proof check

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:19 am
([msg=67980]see Re: Request for proof check[/msg])

Java just kept loading for me, probably something on my end.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:43 am
Blog: View Blog (0)



Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests