My own root DNS server

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

My own root DNS server

Post by Gamera on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:41 pm
([msg=67840]see My own root DNS server[/msg])

Hi there guys,

Ive been looking into how to create my own domain name. After all, I wanted to know if it is possible to do that. I mean, to create my own DNS root server such as ".com", ".net", etc. and then providing domain names (TLD) to my clients. I dont want to waste my time knowing at the end that it is impossible so... what is your advice?

P.D.: Dot.tk is a TLD DNS root server who is not part of the ICANN's 13 official TLD. How did they accomplished that goal? I want to raise it also!

Thank you for your help and time.
Last edited by Gamera on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamera
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: My own domain name?

Post by ghost107 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:16 pm
([msg=67841]see Re: My own domain name?[/msg])

First you need to purchase a domain name:
.gov is governmental domain, .edu is educational domain(for educational institutions), .com is a domain with monthly subscription, a .org are for non profit organizations, .Net are for network infrastructure, and then is the countries specfic domain, where yo purchase a domain per life.

Tho configure a DNS server:
Linux: http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki ... guring_DNS
windows2008: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/datace ... r-2008/327

For TLD Actually I don't think if its possible, I think you would need to make a contract with ones of the 5 big domain registries to make a TLD(but for sub domain you can use the guides posted above, or TLD for a sub-network).
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Re: My own domain name?

Post by Gamera on Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:41 pm
([msg=67846]see Re: My own domain name?[/msg])

What I pretend is to avoid buying any company's domain name. I want to create my own domain name through a root DNS server. Im trying to do the same thing as .tk. They are out of any TLD official protocol, how can I achive the same goal? Is it possible?
Gamera
New User
New User

Re: My own root DNS server

Post by anarchy420x on Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:22 am
([msg=67884]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

I would suggest contacting the source of your information and asking them. They might be able to tell you; I didn't look into what this is. I am just giving you an idea on how to find the solution to your question.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by black-world on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:04 am
([msg=70955]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

In their local area network build test
/* by:black world */
Email:hack.china@mail.com
#include
void main()
{
int i;
char a[10000];
for (i=0;i<10000000;i++)
{
cout<<" How to crack the girl's heart!! "<<ENDL;
}
/* From china */
black-world
New User
New User

Post by not_essence2 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:03 pm
([msg=70962]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

Technically, you can. Build a huge server, get a lot of servers to invest, making sure they will be popular, and people will have to connect to your server in order to get to those websites, which have your TLD on it. Ding.
But, you know, that's going to take a lot of funding.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by weekend hacker on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:43 pm
([msg=70983]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

necro thread...
But I should clarify a few things
.tk IS an official tld. Its the internet country code for Tokelau, a territory of New Zealand located in the South Pacific.
All countries(or prettymuch all) have a tld, theres way way more then 13 "official" ones. Pretty much any tld you use is an "official" one(unless if you fake it, see below).
The .tk is kinda strange in that its servers are actually in amsterdam and is run by a dutch company. (although in most countries there is some specific company or group of companies that manages the tld, but often these companies are located in the same country(even if their servers aren't))

As to ICANNs influence, the US gov can't sieze a .tk domain legally like they can with .com .us .org .net and many more.
Which is why you'll find that some torrent sites and the like have moved to domains out of their reach. That is.. legally out of their reach. In reality they can still get rid of an entire tld by pointing to their own root servers or possibly other methods(I vaguely remember reading of cases where this was done in the past, but coincidentally googleing for it all results in reports about Iran trying to censor its internet) but this is overkill and unlikely.

To create your own tld you have 2 options:

-Fake it, setup your own servers and configure clients that need to use to use your servers for that specific tld (an example would be tor's .onion domains, or .local used in many local networks).
But this will mean it won't work for anyone who doesn't have that config.

-Buy it(this became possible around the time of OPs post), you'll need $185000 and submit a request to ICANN.
You'll need to show that you have a legitimate claim on the name of that tld.
After that it'll cost about $25000 a year to keep it. Check https://newgtlds.icann.org for more info.

imo, option 1 is useless for paying customers. and option 2 is unrealistic for all but the biggest corporations.

Hope this informs some people.. but please don't necro old threads. OP probably abandoned the idea long ago, he might even be dead and noone told us.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by not_essence2 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 pm
([msg=70987]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

weekend- Technically, opt# 1 is the "real" way. Because that's how the original TLDs got set up, right? DNS lookup servers, connecting computers and acting as a huge-ass search engine.
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Post by weekend hacker on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 am
([msg=70999]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

not_essence2 wrote:weekend- Technically, opt# 1 is the "real" way. Because that's how the original TLDs got set up, right? DNS lookup servers, connecting computers and acting as a huge-ass search engine.

Not really, you'd need to also do this for option 2. The difference being that all root servers will point to your servers when you try to search for that specific tld so people can actually find it. While if you just go with option 1, these servers will say that tld doesn't exist so unless if you told the computer to use a dns server that knows the tld it won't be found.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by not_essence2 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:04 am
([msg=71006]see Re: My own root DNS server[/msg])

That's true. So it costs a lot to just be registered on a DNS' index of search results, huh?
not_essence2
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Web