Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...

Post by xTractatorix on Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:01 pm
([msg=67718]see Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

^ So on that note ill continue, what i need is a medium through which someone can download files on to there computers. I know i can use email by using a attachment but is there a different way i can have someonedownload a file without them having to download a program. Thankyou
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...

Post by limdis on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:18 pm
([msg=67720]see Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

https://www.dropbox.com/

You will need to download the program to upload your files. Then share the link to whoever you want. Been using it for awhile, works great when stuff is too large for email.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by mShred on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 am
([msg=67723]see Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

The title of this thread just pisses me off. I've an idea, rather than clusterfucking the goddamn forums.. Why don't you create one bigass topic where you can just ask question's to your heart's desire?

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:37 am
([msg=67727]see Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

mShred wrote:The title of this thread just pisses me off. I've an idea, rather than clusterfucking the goddamn forums.. Why don't you create one bigass topic where you can just ask question's to your heart's desire?

I get where your coming from. haha, maybe a bit harsh though, but it made me laugh.

On a side note, the series of questions coming from this single poster is becoming increasingly interesting. I think the last think I read from him had to do with creating a virus, and now he's asking how to share files without using an email address. The simple fact that he doesn't want to use an email address, but wants to use a file sharing url is what's interesting. I love watching stuff like this unfold; it's a like a fun puzzle.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by edone automaton on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:32 am
([msg=67732]see Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

Dropbox is good, it automatically syncs whatever you put into it with whoever you share a folder with. you need to invite someone though and they need to accept. So IF someone wanted to do bad things they would still need to convince the victim to share their folder, or have access to an already trusted folder.
There are many online file sharing apps that do not even require a sign up, you just drag and drop your file, you are then given a url to share for 48 hours or something.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-f ... ernatives/
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:42 am
([msg=67734]see Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

You can also use a torrent site like pirate bay to share your files with your friends. There are obvious downsides to this though, so it's not the best option. You can also share your file through IM's like skype, and AOL.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by limdis on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:44 am
([msg=67745]see Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

edone automaton wrote:Dropbox is good, it automatically syncs whatever you put into it with whoever you share a folder with. you need to invite someone though and they need to accept. So IF someone wanted to do bad things they would still need to convince the victim to share their folder, or have access to an already trusted folder.

Not if you set up your public folder and put your files in there. The link works just like any other direct download link off a website, anyone can use it. TinyURL the link and you wouldn't even have to say where it was coming from.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by edone automaton on Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:08 pm
([msg=67749]see Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

limdis wrote:Not if you set up your public folder and put your files in there. The link works just like any other direct download link off a website, anyone can use it. TinyURL the link and you wouldn't even have to say where it was coming from.

:roll: I've been using dropbox for about a year and I did not know that. I just share a couple of folders with some close friends so I never really looked into it beyond that. I suppose that the name 'public' on the folder was a clue but I just thought that it meant that anyone with access to one of my other folders would also have access to the public one if you get what I mean? Good to know.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by xTractatorix on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:41 pm
([msg=67754]see Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

limdis wrote:You will need to download the program to upload your files. Then share the link to whoever you want. Been using it for awhile, works great when stuff is too large for email.
Thank you drop box is working beautifully.
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:55 pm
([msg=67760]see Re: Please excuse my many questions, i cant help it...[/msg])

For the love of the Higgs Boson, why has nobody suggested an FTP server?!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to General