So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.

Post by guitarshred11 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:46 pm
([msg=67685]see So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.[/msg])

http://pastebin.com/2XMxCw0n

^ The link to it. Obviously, this is a script meant to mess up your computer. I really would like to know what this code means, however, and what language it's written in.

I'm not sure if I'm breaking the rules or not, but if I am, I apologize.

EDIT: I want to say that it either deletes or renames credui.dll, but I'm not sure which one, or how it does it.
guitarshred11
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.

Post by WallShadow on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:50 am
([msg=67691]see Re: So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.[/msg])

A couple of things:

1. You aren't breaking the rules by posting code that isn't copyrighted.
2. Even though this isn't against the ToS, many people will hate it when you post links, especially to code downloads. Whenever you can, you should just post the code in a code box or a quote. People are fearful of being rooted by random malicious code that people can post links to.
3. The link appears to be broken now. You didn't happen to save the code, did you?

-WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by guitarshred11 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:18 am
([msg=67692]see Re: So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.[/msg])

Thanks. I'll keep those tips in mind in the future.

Unfortunately, no. I didn't save the code. It was meant to be saved as a Batch file, if that helps any. I would assume that means it's written in C or C++? Unfortunately, the only part of the code that I can remember is:
@echo off

...And that doesn't help you much, I fear.
guitarshred11
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:36 am
([msg=67693]see Re: So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.[/msg])

guitarshred11 wrote:Thanks. I'll keep those tips in mind in the future.

Unfortunately, no. I didn't save the code. It was meant to be saved as a Batch file, if that helps any. I would assume that means it's written in C or C++? Unfortunately, the only part of the code that I can remember is:
@echo off

...And that doesn't help you much, I fear.

Actually, that tells us exactly what language it was in. It was coded in batch language, which in other words, is a way to execute command prompt commands in a rapid fashion. This also tells me that the person on 4chan was most likely and idiotic 12 year old (as most tend to be (or at least on /b/)) who just watched a YouTube video on batch programming and thought they would be the shit if they screwed with some random person.

TL;DR: Made in the batch scripting language, 4chan thread OP was an idiot.

Good day.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by WallShadow on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:02 pm
([msg=67696]see Re: So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.[/msg])

If you want to make a deadly batch file, write one line that deletes your System32 folder, and your done! Bonus points if you can conceal the output of the program as it slowly deletes everything!
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:37 pm
([msg=67698]see Re: So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:If you want to make a deadly batch file, write one line that deletes your System32 folder, and your done! Bonus points if you can conceal the output of the program as it slowly deletes everything!

You actually can't delete your System32 folder. (Old thread that discussed this viewtopic.php?f=126&t=8904)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by WallShadow on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:13 pm
([msg=67700]see Re: So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.[/msg])

centip3de wrote:You actually can't delete your System32 folder. (Old thread that discussed this http://www.hackthissite.org/forums/view ... 126&t=8904)

Wow, and I actually read that thread before. Must've just skimmed over it. In any case, I bet there is still an equally important file on the Windows OS which if deleted will cause catastrophic failure. Or just make a script that wastes the system resources till the system crashes. With batch files its easier than making pie.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:53 pm
([msg=67701]see Re: So, I found this code on 4Chan, and I'm curious about it.[/msg])

It's not really about deleting folders that will be harmful to the computer. Windows has a lot of things in place to stop things like that.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Programming