Another technical inquiry on C...

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Another technical inquiry on C...

Post by xTractatorix on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:20 pm
([msg=67638]see Another technical inquiry on C...[/msg])

Okay so my main goal is to be able to make a C program that once installed "starts/activates itself"For the mean time though ill just use a USB drive that once plugged into the computer starts the program up. Ive goggled this up and what appears is"How to make a program start up on boot" and while that's nice to know, its not what I'm looking for. I have the code for the program built and it works fine but i just don't know how to do what i stated above...
Again i want to make a program that starts itself up, any help would be appreciated.
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Another technical inquiry on C...

Post by ghost107 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 pm
([msg=67639]see Re: Another technical inquiry on C...[/msg])

xTractatorix wrote:Okay so my main goal is to be able to make a C program that once installed "starts/activates itself"For the mean time though ill just use a USB drive that once plugged into the computer starts the program up. Ive goggled this up and what appears is"How to make a program start up on boot" and while that's nice to know, its not what I'm looking for. I have the code for the program built and it works fine but i just don't know how to do what i stated above...
Again i want to make a program that starts itself up, any help would be appreciated.

Looks something illegal, what you want to make. Plus this depends on the OS(how the target OS is configured/protected/type).
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:54 pm
([msg=67640]see Re: Another technical inquiry on C...[/msg])

Someone's gotta activate that program. Whether it's the victim, another program, you, or a timed thing, something's gotta hit it.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by WallShadow on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:22 pm
([msg=67641]see Re: Another technical inquiry on C...[/msg])

This doesn't sound illegal to me. This doesn't ask for any off-limits information and OP doesn't imply any malicious intention with this.

As for starting automatically, what do you mean by this? If you want a program that starts as soon as installed, just make a custom installer which runs the program once it is finished. As for the UBS method, you should know. since Windows Vista, the windows OS forbids any auto-run programs that force the execution of a program once a UBS is inserted into the computer. The only way is through user interaction. But really OP, you have to be more specific.

-WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:22 am
([msg=67643]see Re: Another technical inquiry on C...[/msg])

Well actually, I'd agree with that being a illegal notion. Consider everything else OP has been asking recently. Also, an autorun program really is only beneficial if you're trying to run something, prolly a virus, on someone else's box without them knowing. So yeah.. Just me. But it seems like OP here is trying to work a virus.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by xTractatorix on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:48 pm
([msg=67647]see Re: Another technical inquiry on C...[/msg])

mShred wrote:But it seems like OP here is trying to work a virus.

Well now, that depends on your definition of a virus :D.
mShred wrote:Someone's gotta activate that program. Whether it's the victim, another program, you, or a timed thing, something's gotta hit it.

So is there a way to keep "activated" the program, like a live grenade, i activate it myself and the program is active while its installed and therefore in a sense activates itself in the computer?
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:12 am
([msg=67659]see Re: Another technical inquiry on C...[/msg])

xTractatorix wrote:Okay so my main goal is to be able to make a C program that once installed "starts/activates itself"For the mean time though ill just use a USB drive that once plugged into the computer starts the program up. Ive goggled this up and what appears is"How to make a program start up on boot" and while that's nice to know, its not what I'm looking for. I have the code for the program built and it works fine but i just don't know how to do what i stated above...

These links may provide some useful info for the usb method:

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/641-creating-an-autorun-inf-file

http://www.samlogic.net/articles/autorun-usb-flash-drive.htm

Note: I'm assuming this is for windows. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the program actually starting itself, there is going to have to be some kind of trigger. You could try to take advantage of scheduled tasks but then the pc would be starting it. The bottom line is if the program is inactive how will it be aware to know to start it self. You can't eat your own face (no bath salts included). Some kind of user interaction or system task will be needed. I'd like to hear some ideas though. In the past I've used scheduled tasks and gpedit to run on logon and or startup but apparently that's not what you're looking for.

Back to the usb method. It's an actual attack method to make a malicous autorun usb. Even a non autorun cd. The attack vector is to leave the usb in a public place like an office or store in hopes of someone being curious enough to run it. If your not using autorun you can disguise the filename as something like "bigBodaciousBoobies" or "damnBeaver" and hope someone is naive enough to run it. 5, in 5 random different tactically placed spots should at least return one user.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by anarchy420x on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:01 pm
([msg=67666]see Re: Another technical inquiry on C...[/msg])

That is a good question though, what exactly are you looking for? Did you want it to start up after install, or start up automatically everytime the computer or another program starts? Did you want it to boot up everytime the return key was hit?

Haha, I think talking about a live grenade was a poor analogy due to the pseudo controversial thread.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Return to Programming