8-pin microchip help

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

8-pin microchip help

Post by deathwillcome800 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:17 am
([msg=67551]see 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

I want to know how to read a 8-pin mircochip it has no company name to it so how do i read the chip and how do i rewrite anything on it thank .
numbers on the chip: there are 3 lines of numbers/letters
1.ATMLU814
2.01B
3.77G2069E
Last edited by deathwillcome800 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dont dis the noobs you where 1 of them before
deathwillcome800
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 8-pin microchip help

Post by centip3de on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:39 am
([msg=67555]see Re: 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

deathwillcome800 wrote:Hello i was going threw my stuff and found a gettiland key its a place in my town that uses electronic keys to pay for the games so i was just wounder what was in it. i tour it apart and it was just a small 8-pin microchip and i wanted to hack it and i wanted to see if i can read the microchip with a usb cable im sure its not a current way but i want to know if it is possible and if not how do i read it because i want to hack it for 999.99 dollars hehe thank you for reading this

This, from what I could understand, sounds illegal. As someone who has posted here more than once, I'd expect you to know that we don't help others hack things illegally. Also, if you really want to go at it, look up the hardware specs to see if a USB is even possibly compatible with it. Then, disassemble the driver (if there is one (if not, you're going to have to somehow bust through (I'm thinking buffer overflow?))), then figure out how it connects to the host, then change the values, then you're golden. Any of the specifics of that, we won't help you with.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by shaqywacky on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:48 am
([msg=67556]see Re: 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

We are clearly going to need some of the numbers off the chip. Give us a picture(with readable numbers) of the chip or all the number on it.

Does it have a way to connect a usb cable to it(besides cutting a usb cable open)? I doubt it.

I'm going to be honest. This will be very difficult(without the right experience). Most likely the chip is a simple micro controller, which to reprogram would require some external hardware(JTAG, ect) which is not going to be a simple set up. The reprogramming of it may be difficult because without a reader it may be very hard to know what it does specifically. You might be able to find this information online but I've never heard of the place you're talking about so it might not be popular enough for someone else to have done this then uploaded it.

Hopefully it's something a little simpler.

Another concern would be how the money is put on the card. I would be extremely surprised if the actual amount was stored on the card. Most likely the card holds user information that links to a database that holds the amount. You could get around this by being an asshole and using someone else's account.

I would have expected it to be an RFID chip. If it is, you do actually have a chance at this. RFID is notoriously insecure. You would probably have to buy a little equipment though to reprogram it.

As mentioned this is certainly illegal. But I don't give it much of a chance(IE 0) of you succeeding. I would still be interested in that chip though.
shaqywacky
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:28 am
([msg=67559]see Re: 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

It was good until the mention of money being added onto it. Come on now, that is obviously going to cause a lock. Like shaqywacky said though, I seriously doubt the money is stored on the card.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by mShred on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:49 pm
([msg=67599]see Re: 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

How blunt.. If LoGiCaL__ didn't lock this, I would have locked it even harder. But hardware hacking like that takes some serious knowhow. Along with that, it'd probably be a lot funner.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 pm
([msg=67610]see Re: 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

Update:

Unlocked after edit.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by shaqywacky on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:10 pm
([msg=67616]see Re: 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

it has no company name to it

Then you are pretty much(Read: completely) fucked. Unless you plan to hack their website, find out where they buy these chips from then use that companies information to figure out what type of chips these are. Even then you still have almost no chance.

I'm sorry. As it turns out companies like their money and for that reason they don't install 'hack' buttons on their hardware. Unless you can give us some more information, we have ABSOLUTELY no way of helping you short of finding another card and doing it ourselves.
shaqywacky
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by deathwillcome800 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:18 pm
([msg=67617]see Re: 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

would numbers on top of the chip help :/
deathwillcome800
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by limdis on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:41 pm
([msg=67618]see Re: 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

take a pic of the chip and upload to imgur or somewhere so we can see it
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by deathwillcome800 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:46 pm
([msg=67619]see Re: 8-pin microchip help[/msg])

theres the chip its a pic of its top and bottem
deathwillcome800
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Hardware