too complicated to understand computer way

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

too complicated to understand computer way

Post by samethings on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:17 pm
([msg=67470]see too complicated to understand computer way[/msg])

Hey guys, I find it really complicated to understand the basics of programming language. I understand there are high/low level languages like c++, c, assembly... and many more.

You use a compiler in order to compile to code into machine language (0`s and 1`s) 1 = on and 0= off in the thousands of microprocessors. But from those on and offs how did we end up having this ed games, this colourful designs, this videos(sound and picture)...

Ofc I try to think how from 0 we went to 100... but it`s really amazing how someone did that.

Also someone who did design programming. How exactly would a programmer think? What I mean is that would he think of surfaces of colors, or how? I understand that now , the programming languages developed so much that you can actually work and do in the environment that you will create like Visual Basic

And how did we end up having a scanner which will take the picture and put it into our screen...

I know this might sound very retarded, but It is really amazing what we take for granted
samethings
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: too complicated to understand computer way

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 pm
([msg=67473]see Re: too complicated to understand computer way[/msg])

samethings wrote:Hey guys, I find it really complicated to understand the basics of programming language. I understand there are high/low level languages like c++, c, assembly... and many more.

You use a compiler in order to compile to code into machine language (0`s and 1`s) 1 = on and 0= off in the thousands of microprocessors. But from those on and offs how did we end up having this ed games, this colourful designs, this videos(sound and picture)...

Ofc I try to think how from 0 we went to 100... but it`s really amazing how someone did that.

Also someone who did design programming. How exactly would a programmer think? What I mean is that would he think of surfaces of colors, or how? I understand that now , the programming languages developed so much that you can actually work and do in the environment that you will create like Visual Basic

And how did we end up having a scanner which will take the picture and put it into our screen...

I know this might sound very retarded, but It is really amazing what we take for granted

If you are questioning 1's and 0's you should check out this link http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+does+binary+work
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:35 pm
([msg=67474]see Re: too complicated to understand computer way[/msg])

samethings wrote:You use a compiler in order to compile to code into machine language (0`s and 1`s) 1 = on and 0= off

Actually, it compiles into Assembly Language, which then is translated into machine code by an assembler. However, 1's and 0's is binary, not machine language. Binary represents all of the millions or little switches your computer contains within itself.

samethings wrote:But from those on and offs how did we end up having this ed games, this colourful designs, this videos(sound and picture)...

It's all whether the switch is on or off. For instance, if a certain pixel is on or off is represented in binary (designs and videos). These switches flip most likely around thousands of times per second, representing a moving picture, when really it's just some pixels turning off and some turning on.

samethings wrote:it`s really amazing how someone did that.

Agreed.

samethings wrote:Also someone who did design programming. How exactly would a programmer think? What I mean is that would he think of surfaces of colors, or how? I understand that now , the programming languages developed so much that you can actually work and do in the environment that you will create like Visual Basic

I'm not sure what you're asking here...

samethings wrote:And how did we end up having a scanner which will take the picture and put it into our screen...

Well, the scanner takes a picture of said object, then, sends the picture to the computer through the cord attached to it, byte by byte by byte by byte (though this is actually a really fast process). Then, software deciphers these bytes and turns them into the same picture. Tada!

***EDIT***

Damn you Logical! Right when I finished typing this.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by samethings on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:13 pm
([msg=67486]see Re: too complicated to understand computer way[/msg])

Thanks for the replies guys. I just want to add this on the post that today when I went into google I see they dedicate the site to Alan Turning

Is this the guy who invented this madness with zeros and ones ?
samethings
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:30 pm
([msg=67488]see Re: too complicated to understand computer way[/msg])

samethings wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I just want to add this on the post that today when I went into google I see they dedicate the site to Alan Turning

Is this the guy who invented this madness with zeros and ones ?

The very same :)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Programming