Should i switch to C++?

Bad threads go here

Should i switch to C++?

Post by xTractatorix on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:10 pm
([msg=67320]see Should i switch to C++?[/msg])

I'm using C at the moment, i have creating a couple programs using loops and if/switch statements and I'm learning how to interact with files on the computer using C, but I'm not finding much on C...EVERYTHING'S on C++, or C# :!: Whenever i try to research anything about C, C++ or C# come up more often than C. That's why I'm asking should i switch to C++, as apparently theirs more stuff out there about it than there is for C. If anyone could link me to a website that's about C, it would help tremendously, thank you :D .
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Should i switch to C++?

Post by anarchy420x on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:00 am
([msg=67329]see Re: Should i switch to C++?[/msg])

No, I don't think you should switch unless you are not interested in programing. Since you already started with C follow it through to the end. I will dig up some info for you really quick.

-- Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:19 am --

Ok, so I have a concern to put out to you. You have made approximately 7 posts asking what you should do. What you should learn. I think you have the idea and mentality a little backward. This isn't school, you don't have to learn a set amount to get a good grade. You learn as much and as little as you see fit. whether or not you know a terrible amount, you are welcome into the community. I don't mean to discourage you in any manor, but I think you might need to take a step back from the computer and figure out what you want to do.

In fact, if you would give 5 minutes of your time, I would like you to perform an exercise to help direct your attention and energy.

Grab the remote to your tv or cable box, It needs to be one of those two. Go sit in the middle of an open room with nothing else going on around you, no music, no tv, no people. Then look at the remote; think about the remote. Spend a good 5 minutes doing this. Then immediately post your thoughts onto here.

http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html Here is a tutorial for C.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by edone automaton on Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 am
([msg=67333]see Re: Should i switch to C++?[/msg])

If you want to switch, switch. If you feel there are more resources and it will hold your attention longer, go for it. There is no point torturing yourself with something and making your life harder than it needs to be, like the man said, this isn't school.

My own personal feeling is that with programming, its quite an alien process and way of thinking for most people so for that first language you should be enjoying yourself, feeling excited to turn the computer on and spend an hour or so, not giving yourself a headache. I started learning c++from a very long, very dry book, didn't understand what I was doing or why and gave up. A year later I started playing with python, solving little puzzles, making space invader games and so on and the experience was so much nicer. With some basic concepts grasped I find it easier to work with other languages (not that I am some sort of genius but I am conquering my c++ demons!)
Forget about 'hacking' and exploits and stuff for now and just enjoy yourself, enjoy whatever language you see fit just for the sake of it.

anarchy420x wrote:In fact, if you would give 5 minutes of your time, I would like you to perform an exercise to help direct your attention and energy.
Grab the remote to your tv or cable box, It needs to be one of those two. Go sit in the middle of an open room with nothing else going on around you, no music, no tv, no people. Then look at the remote; think about the remote. Spend a good 5 minutes doing this. Then immediately post your thoughts onto here.

Very zen. I would maybe make sure the house is empty and close the curtains first, you'll scare the neighbors.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by xTractatorix on Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:58 pm
([msg=67337]see Re: Should i switch to C++?[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:You have made approximately 7 posts asking what you should do. What you should learn. I think you have the idea and mentality a little backward. This isn't school, you don't have to learn a set amount to get a good grade. You learn as much and as little as you see fit.

I understand that this is not school, but i find that i do best when set for myself goals. I ask what i should learn because there are many people on these forums who have much more experience than me and i do value there advice and opinions, on these subjects. I started programing cause it caught my attention, firstly using FreeBASIC, and while i enjoyed it i wanted to learn a language that is widly used, and thats when i stumbled across C. I ENJOY writing in C, ive made a couple different calculators, and number games using C, its just that ive noticed there are alot of resources for C++ but not so much on C. Thats why i asked if i should switch to C++.
anarchy420x wrote:Grab the remote to your tv or cable box, It needs to be one of those two. Go sit in the middle of an open room with nothing else going on around you, no music, no tv, no people. Then look at the remote; think about the remote. Spend a good 5 minutes doing this. Then immediately post your thoughts onto here.

Its for that very reson why im learning programing, because i enjoy programing and because almost everything uses some form of programing.
anarchy420x wrote:I don't mean to discourage you in any manor, but I think you might need to take a step back from the computer and figure out what you want to do.

What do i want to do?Programing...Well to be more specific my overall goal is to sowftware engineer. At the moment im learning C file I/O.
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:15 pm
([msg=67338]see Re: Should i switch to C++?[/msg])

There's actually more material on C than C++ IMHO. But anyway, C++ and C are very close syntactically and if you understand the differences between them, you should be able to use C++ sources to help you with C. Also, look up K & R. (<-- The only thing you'll ever need to learn C)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:26 am
([msg=67407]see Re: Should i switch to C++?[/msg])

You really failed to comment on the remote without saying you didn't want to do it. That in itself says a bit about your sense of direction. You may want to find your own way instead of looking for direction even if it's in looking for direction, Make sense?

Basically, even if you ask us for our opinion, you should continue to look in your mind until you are drawn into something. Your mind kind of works like those coin drops that hits all the little pegs before it hits the bottom.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:33 pm
([msg=67420]see Re: Should i switch to C++?[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:You really failed to comment on the remote without saying you didn't want to do it. That in itself says a bit about your sense of direction. You may want to find your own way instead of looking for direction even if it's in looking for direction, Make sense?

Basically, even if you ask us for our opinion, you should continue to look in your mind until you are drawn into something. Your mind kind of works like those coin drops that hits all the little pegs before it hits the bottom.

+1 for the analogy.
+1 for the tips.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by 323LORDofWAR323 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:21 pm
([msg=74414]see Re: Should i switch to C++?[/msg])

C++ is a very useful language for programmers, and is a very advanced language. Its good for drivers and advanced processes, but as far as application in the world goes there are many better faster and more efficient languages such as C sharp
But C++ is useful
It all depends on your purpose
323LORDofWAR323
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:15 pm
([msg=74418]see Re: Should i switch to C++?[/msg])

323LORDofWAR323 wrote:C++ is a very useful language for programmers, and is a very advanced language. Its good for drivers and advanced processes, but as far as application in the world goes there are many better faster and more efficient languages such as C sharp
But C++ is useful
It all depends on your purpose

Uhhh... C# is not as fast, nor as efficient as C++ is. Granted they have an easier system to develop GUI's, however when comparing the speed of the applications themselves, C++ wins every time. Also, this thread is almost a year old, please don't necro old posts.
centip3de

Return to Graveyard