choosing laptop

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

choosing laptop

Post by Apocalypze_Survivor on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:46 am
([msg=67050]see choosing laptop[/msg])

Hi! I'm very new to all this and I need to buy my own laptop, so I'm wondering what kind or which laptop I should buy to make the best out of "hacking". I also wonder what kinds of things I should get for it and how much this costs. Someone said that you should get Linux and firebug(i think) for firefox and notepad++ and c++ and javascript. I want to know everything of what I should get so I'm fully prepared. I'm also wondering if anybody knows if all of this will slow down the laptop and what exactly makes the laptop slow. Also I'm not exactly rich so I can't afford a really expensive laptop.

Thanks for any help on this.
Apocalypze_Survivor
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: choosing laptop

Post by anarchy420x on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:40 am
([msg=67053]see Re: choosing laptop[/msg])

Here's the thing, we are going to need a lot more information.

1. What do you plan to use the laptop for?
This will help determine what specs are going to be best for you.
2. Are you stuck on having a laptop?
Laptops are a terrible inconvenience. They aren't completely upgradeable, you are stuck with whatever you buy, and they tend to break easy. I highly suggest a desktop if you can. However, laptops are easier to move about, so it really depends on your situation.
3. Are you going to be gaming?
Games become graphics and ram heavy with exponential growth, so that will greatly help determine what specs.
4. What is your price range?
Obvious answer.
5. Are you comfortable with ordering off the internet?
Places like Newegg are great places to look for deals. But, you have to be very careful when ordering off the internet. There are a lot of shotty deals trust me; I dabble in Affiliate Marketing.
6. What experience do you have with computers?
If you have little to no experience with computers, stay away from linux. You can always dual boot or run it on a virtual machine to gain experience. You really don't want to deal with that hassle. Windows is a great place for the everyday computer illeterate or novice as it has lots of support from here. Stay away from Macintosh, not because of the big controversy, but because of the big virus shit storm that will happen to Mac's soon.
7. How long do you want your computer to last?
Quality costs more.
8. Do you plan to store a lot of information on your computer?
Specs.
9. Do you do any video editing?
Specs, also helps with OS decision.
10. Are you a quick learner or a dedicated learner?
OS decision.
11. Do you give up easily?
OS decision.
12. (Optional) If under the age of 18, are your parents buying it for you?
You don't want to mess up a computer that your parents just bought for you, so I would suggest getting a machine that has great support.

Answer all these questions, and you might see some "good" opinions rolling in.

-- Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:45 am --

Btw, this thread would either go in the "general" forum. or "hardware" forum.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by Apocalypze_Survivor on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:24 am
([msg=67055]see Re: choosing laptop[/msg])

Ok, I'm going to post the answers on general. The reason I posted this here was because I didn't know where at first, but now it is obvious.
Apocalypze_Survivor
New User
New User

chosing laptop

Post by Apocalypze_Survivor on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:08 am
([msg=67058]see chosing laptop[/msg])

1.I plan on doing the missions on this site and to learn more about hacking and I've heard about other sites with missions to.I also want to be able to play games and edit videos could be good to.
2.I have been looking at some desktops but they are really expensive. It feels like it would be a better idea to buy a laptop, because I could take it with me if I'm going somewhere and I could sit anywhere in the house and put it away when I'm not using it.(I don't have my own room)
3.I want to play games on it, but it's not really neccessary, but I would like to make walkthroughs etc of games.
4.I don't have much money. I have 208 dollars(I'm swedish. I 1500 swedish kronor/crowns) I might be able to pay some money each month(don't ask how it's too difficult to explain)
5.Like I said, I'm swedish, so I don't think I would wan't to buy from an american website, because then I would have to pay for the shipping. But I can buy off the internet.
6.I have no experience with computers, but I am ready to learn. Also what is dual boot and where can I run it(I presume dual boot or linux) on a virtual machine?
7.The computer should last long, as long as possible.
8.I want to store alot.
9.Do I do any or do I want to do? I don't do any but I want to do.
10.Neither actually, but as I said I'm ready to learn.
11.Usually yes, but I think I can do it(whatever it is you're talking about)
12.I'm 18.

Thank you anarchy420x for the questions.(hopefully everyone will understand what I'm looking for now)
And thanks for any post that will help me buy a good laptop.

edit by limdis: I worked some of my mage skills and combined the topics, cut out the re-quote from the original topic, and moved everything to hardware. +1 for being new and trying to keep things organized. 8-) +1
Apocalypze_Survivor
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:52 pm
([msg=67082]see Re: choosing laptop[/msg])

My suggestion is to save up. I don't know what the price of computers goes for in Sweden, so I won't be able to help you on that . Also, because you are in Sweden and most of us aren't, I would recommend you go out looking and bring back your results unless for us to critic.

I paid 600 -700 for two laptops about almost two years ago that have about the same specs as you would be looking at. They are getting old though, so as you can see they didn't last very long. It had a very hard time playing SWTOR and lags when playing diablo 3.

Ready to help, sorry I couldn't be more help up front.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by Apocalypze_Survivor on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 am
([msg=67121]see Re: choosing laptop[/msg])

limdis: yay +1 points, everything's coming up Apocalypze.

Now on the laptops, I have found these:
Hp Pavilion g6-1235so
HP CQ57-301EO
HP CQ57-301SO
FUJITSU AH 531
Compaq CQ57-403SO
HP G6-1303EO
These are some of the cheapest I found. If there is one you know is good(doesn't have to be any of these) I'd appreciate it if you told me. I'm not really that good with knowing what kinds of stuff is good(processors and shit) when you're looking for a computer.
Apocalypze_Survivor
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:56 pm
([msg=67140]see Re: choosing laptop[/msg])

Why don't you throw out the site links of what you were looking at to make it easy for us.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by anarchy420x on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:25 pm
([msg=67180]see Re: choosing laptop[/msg])

http://www.billigteknik.se/sv/datorer-m ... 88188.html - maybe
http://www.billigteknik.se/sv/surfdator ... 301eo.html -no
http://www.billigteknik.se/sv/surfdator ... 67060.html - no
http://www.billigteknik.se/sv/surfdator ... 45690.html - no
http://www.siba.se/Products/Product.asp ... ef=section - maybe
http://www.siba.se/Products/Product.asp ... ef=section - this one didn't pop up.

In my opinion, the first one is your best bet due to the ram amount. I am currently running 4 gb of ram, and it's becoming not enough way too fast. So, having 2 gb of ram is not going to help you at all, in my opinion. I prefer nvidia, but radeon is good as well. However, the ones with the decent graphics cards don't have enough ram.

So, one thing to remember is you can upgrade the ram in your laptop, but not the video card. If you don't mind less ram at the beginning, picking one of the ones with the radeon graphics cards will better suit you. But, if you want it a one stop shop, the two I marked as maybe are your best bet.

This entire post was poorly written, if you don't understand let me know and I will edit it tomorrow.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by Apocalypze_Survivor on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:06 am
([msg=67356]see Re: choosing laptop[/msg])

I don't know if I need much ram for the stuff that you use for the missions on this site. The graphic cards are for games and movies and video editing, right? Right now I'm leaning towards the first one, but is the graphics card(it says Intel HD) good on that one? I think the other "maybe" has the same graphics card.
Don't know why the last one doesn't pop up. It just directs you to the main page.

Thank you for your help
Apocalypze_Survivor
New User
New User

Next

Return to Hardware