IDE vs IDE vs IDE

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

IDE vs IDE vs IDE

Post by centip3de on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:37 pm
([msg=67066]see IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

Hello all, the other day I was watching a few videos of Notch(<3) coding and it seemed that he was using Eclipse. I have no issue with Eclipse as it seems like a very good and popular IDE that is somewhat lightweight. I normally use Emacs for all my programming needs, though I'm starting to miss the usefulness of a good IDE.

TLDR; what is your current IDE for -insert language here-? Why do you use this over others? Would you recommend it for others?

@Mods: This should be in Off topic, or something, but the post count in General was 9,999. I had to do it. More like programming.. :shock:
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE

Post by mShred on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:32 pm
([msg=67068]see Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

Back to 9999 again.. But there's a significant amount of more posts for us mods.
Either way, I've used Eclipse before. It's nice. But IMO, it seems a little bloated, but with good reason. There's a shit ton you can do with it. I'm more of a lightweight kinda guy though. And I don't normally code in anything other than scripting languages. But when I do, I've used Codeblocks and a couple other that I don't remember. Codeblocks is alright. I don't know if I'd recommend it though.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:52 pm
([msg=67073]see Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

Lighweight here also. On linux I just use the nano text editor because it's pretty easy to navigate and has syntax highlighting. If I have to develop something on windows I use notpad++ because it supports many different languages as far as syntax highlighting goes and you can also custom the themes to make it easier on the eyes to read.

I mostly code in C++ but use scripting languages also for windows.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by shaqywacky on Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:18 pm
([msg=67075]see Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

When I'm on windows I definitely use Visual Studio. It's the best IDE for C++ or ASM programming I've ever used. I've used eclipse for other things and I didn't mind it but VS still feels better to me. I'm not even sure if eclipse lets you see registers, but I assume it does.

I was forced to use DevC++ for a class and coming back to VS was like breath of fresh air. DevC++ is a complete load of ass, I recommend staying as far away from it as possible.
shaqywacky
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:20 pm
([msg=67079]see Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

shaqywacky wrote:When I'm on windows I definitely use Visual Studio. It's the best IDE for C++ or ASM programming I've ever used. I've used eclipse for other things and I didn't mind it but VS still feels better to me. I'm not even sure if eclipse lets you see registers, but I assume it does.

I was forced to use DevC++ for a class and coming back to VS was like breath of fresh air. DevC++ is a complete load of ass, I recommend staying as far away from it as possible.

I can't stand Visual Studio. Too much Microsoft. Besides that, they changed C++ . So it's no longer what C++ actually is, it's Visual C++. Disgusting. And as for ASM, a text editor is the best one I've ever used by far.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Lighweight here also. On linux I just use the nano text editor because it's pretty easy to navigate and has syntax highlighting.

I've never actually used Nano, but if you want something similar to Notepad++ for Linux, look up Geany. Also, it's pretty lightweight too.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by ghost107 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:33 pm
([msg=67081]see Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

For c++ I use Code::Blocks since it uses mingw the inline ASM is limited to AT&T sintax. For java and haskell I use Eclipse. Plus this IDE are cross Platfrm not like Visual C++ or other .Net languages that are limited to one platform or requires a library like Mono to use them on other platforms.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:23 pm
([msg=67089]see Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

ghost107 wrote:For c++ I use Code::Blocks since it uses mingw the inline ASM is limited to AT&T sintax. For java and haskell I use Eclipse. Plus this IDE are cross Platfrm not like Visual C++ or other .Net languages that are limited to one platform or requires a library like Mono to use them on other platforms.

Actually, you can force Intel syntax in Code::Blocks
centip3de

Post by Crunchbite on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:35 am
([msg=67124]see Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

I've been really taken with Sublime2 text editor lately for coding.
Crunchbite
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:32 pm
([msg=67132]see Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

Crunchbite wrote:I've been really taken with Sublime2 text editor lately for coding.

Sunnava bitch. Where the hell you been crunch?

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by acevic on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:03 am
([msg=67151]see Re: IDE vs IDE vs IDE[/msg])

I'm surprised nobody uses Komodo Edit. I find it super fast, user friendly and the autocomplete is really accurate and comprehensive. I'm using it for Ruby atm. Great for professionals since it includes project management as well. I also love notepad++...I find Eclipse somewhat complicated. Visual studio is bullschlakha.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to Programming