New forum categories proposed

Got an idea on how things should be done? A problem with something on the site? Voice your opinion!

New forum categories proposed

Post by acevic on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:44 am
([msg=66840]see New forum categories proposed[/msg])

I believe it's high time that we get new categories for phreaking, product reviews (IT & security products like the wi-fi pineapple from Hak5) and electronic hacks (Including robotics, circuitry, arduino, overclocking, computer and hardware modifications etc). Also would be great to have a new category for search engines (i.e for information gathering). Would love some feedback from the staff and other users.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New forum categories proposed

Post by centip3de on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:50 am
([msg=66841]see Re: New forum categories proposed[/msg])

acevic wrote:I believe it's high time that we get new categories for phreaking, product reviews (IT & security products like the wi-fi pineapple from Hak5) and electronic hacks (Including robotics, circuitry, arduino, overclocking, computer and hardware modifications etc). Also would be great to have a new category for search engines (i.e for information gathering). Would love some feedback from the staff and other users.

Eh? I could see how this would seem like a good idea, but the boards wouldn't gain that much interest, making our board seem like is even more dead than it already is.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by wan26 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:58 am
([msg=66843]see Re: New forum categories proposed[/msg])

Personally, I'd like to see a catagory dedicated to art, without doing an essay on why I see cross overs and similarities with art and hacking when looking at every day things we see in the real world. It would be refreshing too & I've seen no other forum do this. Having said that, I can imagine the threads within that topic most likely being solely created by myself, with me talking to me. :[
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by anarchy420x on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:07 am
([msg=66845]see Re: New forum categories proposed[/msg])

What about subcategories? That way the threads don't look dead anymore dead.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:59 am
([msg=66853]see Re: New forum categories proposed[/msg])

in my experience, tighter and smaller boards tend to keep more convo.. the general discussion thread is often most used.. when forums get bloated without enough people to keep them active... things go downhill. I actually see some threads that could be dumped entirely.. or moved into a sub forum.
tremor77

Post by Kage on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 pm
([msg=66989]see Re: New forum categories proposed[/msg])

acevic wrote:I believe it's high time that we get new categories for phreaking, product reviews (IT & security products like the wi-fi pineapple from Hak5) and electronic hacks (Including robotics, circuitry, arduino, overclocking, computer and hardware modifications etc). Also would be great to have a new category for search engines (i.e for information gathering). Would love some feedback from the staff and other users.

Not a bad idea. Though I'm not a fan of adding tons of forums, we may do something like...

* Pick up to three: New forum suggestions (your own), or support someone else's suggestions.

The best and most popular ten after a certain timeframe for discussions get put up for community vote. The top three from that vote get added.

Mods, care to proceed?
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:02 pm
([msg=66990]see Re: New forum categories proposed[/msg])

Kage wrote:

Not a bad idea. Though I'm not a fan of adding tons of forums, we may do something like...

* Pick up to three: New forum suggestions (your own), or support someone else's suggestions.

The best and most popular ten after a certain timeframe for discussions get put up for community vote. The top three from that vote get added.

Mods, care to proceed?

Yeah, I have no problem with doing this. The community as a whole would get to decide what they want added. Any idea what would be a good time frame before we put the vote up?

Community, input your thoughts and get this rolling ASAP.

--Please try to keep your feedback to 1 post; This way it will be easier to organize and count up when it comes to vote time
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Kage on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 pm
([msg=66993]see Re: New forum categories proposed[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Any idea what would be a good time frame before we put the vote up?

When we have a shitload of suggestions.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Post by limdis on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 pm
([msg=66994]see Re: New forum categories proposed[/msg])

Kage wrote:When we have a shitload of suggestions.

I lol'd! But yes I have to agree with tremor77 a bit, I think some sub forums could be combined first, then we start adding more. I'll start combing through them.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:29 pm
([msg=66996]see Re: New forum categories proposed[/msg])

Kage wrote:
LoGiCaL__ wrote:Any idea what would be a good time frame before we put the vote up?

When we have a shitload of suggestions.

lol, touchè.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Comments & Suggestions