Can Windows get a virus?

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

Can Windows get a virus?

Post by xTractatorix on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:29 pm
([msg=66795]see Can Windows get a virus?[/msg])

Now before you think i'm retarded or anything of the sort, here is my real question. If i run Linix on a Virtual Machine on my Windows OS, can i still get a virus on my windows from the linix virtual machine?
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Can Windows get a virus?

Post by centip3de on Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:53 pm
([msg=66797]see Re: Can Windows get a virus?[/msg])

xTractatorix wrote:Now before you think i'm retarded or anything of the sort, here is my real question. If i run Linix on a Virtual Machine on my Windows OS, can i still get a virus on my windows from the linix virtual machine?

No. In a virtual machine, everything is kept in the virtual machine. This is because a virtual machine emulates a computer exactly, so as far as the virus knows, it is a real computer. Also, if you're using Linux (<- Correct spelling of it) there's a 0.1% chance of getting a virus. I've been running Ubuntu as my main OS for around a year now, without an anti-virus, and haven't had a single issue.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Re: Can Windows get a virus?

Post by xTractatorix on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:13 pm
([msg=66799]see Re: Can Windows get a virus?[/msg])

Thank you.
xTractatorix
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Malware