Where should I start/pickup?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Where should I start/pickup?

Post by srstrud on Tue May 01, 2012 1:15 pm
([msg=66067]see Where should I start/pickup?[/msg])

Hey everyone. Brand new to HTS but not completely new to programming. I have some knowledge in both computer and web programming and my college major is information systems focusing on web security. I have tried the basic missions and got past number 6 with some ease.

My question is where should I start off? Obviously I have some knowledge on what i'm doing. I just don't know where to pick up from. Appreciate the help!
srstrud
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Where should I start/pickup?

Post by centip3de on Tue May 01, 2012 1:21 pm
([msg=66068]see Re: Where should I start/pickup?[/msg])

srstrud wrote:Hey everyone. Brand new to HTS but not completely new to programming. I have some knowledge in both computer and web programming and my college major is information systems focusing on web security. I have tried the basic missions and got past number 6 with some ease.

My question is where should I start off? Obviously I have some knowledge on what i'm doing. I just don't know where to pick up from. Appreciate the help!

Go through the missions. When you find one that you have trouble with, or don't know the answer to, start there.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by srstrud on Tue May 01, 2012 4:11 pm
([msg=66070]see Re: Where should I start/pickup?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
srstrud wrote:Hey everyone. Brand new to HTS but not completely new to programming. I have some knowledge in both computer and web programming and my college major is information systems focusing on web security. I have tried the basic missions and got past number 6 with some ease.

Go through the missions. When you find one that you have trouble with, or don't know the answer to, start there.

Ya but my question is what programming languages should I pick back up on. Besides html, what is the next fundamental language I should look into?
srstrud
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Tue May 01, 2012 5:11 pm
([msg=66071]see Re: Where should I start/pickup?[/msg])

srstrud wrote:Ya but my question is what programming languages should I pick back up on. Besides html, what is the next fundamental language I should look into?

It depends, what do you want to do? Would you like to do web based coding? Or things more on the client end? Generally people who come here would prefer to do web based programming, so we give them this order:

HTML
CSS
Javascript
PHP
C/C++
ASM
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by srstrud on Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 pm
([msg=66072]see Re: Where should I start/pickup?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
srstrud wrote:Ya but my question is what programming languages should I pick back up on. Besides html, what is the next fundamental language I should look into?

It depends, what do you want to do? Would you like to do web based coding? Or things more on the client end? Generally people who come here would prefer to do web based programming, so we give them this order:

HTML
CSS
Javascript
PHP
C/C++
ASM

Oh perfect! Thanks for the quick reply. This is what I was looking for
srstrud
New User
New User

Return to NZone