mobiles that alert when connecting on unencrypted network

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

mobiles that alert when connecting on unencrypted network

Post by galgil on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:56 pm
([msg=64285]see mobiles that alert when connecting on unencrypted network[/msg])

Hi again guys, i had read in an article that some mobile brands alert the user when connecting to unencrypted network( fake base stations e.t.c). I have searched the web but haven't found anything but government usage phones for politicians e.t.c that are really expensive. Do y know any brands that provide such service or applications for mobiles that provide that ?
galgil
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: mobiles that alert when connecting on unencrypted network

Post by mShred on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:53 am
([msg=64315]see Re: mobiles that alert when connecting on unencrypted network[/msg])

I'm not exactly sure what you're meaning. But I'm assuming that they would offer it as a security bonus. Connecting to unencrypted wifi can be a security problem.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by galgil on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:35 am
([msg=64319]see Re: mobiles that alert when connecting on unencrypted network[/msg])

im not talking for wi-fi but for the regular cell conection , gsm for example. I read that some mobiles show an exclamation mark when the tower that gives them the service not offers encryption. Have you heard anything like that? i cant find anything
galgil
New User
New User

Post by ghost107 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:48 am
([msg=64323]see Re: mobiles that alert when connecting on unencrypted network[/msg])

Actually there is no Encryption in the GSM Network, if there were encryption the Old SIM cards, old phones and the new ones wouldn't work. The SMS standard is AT+CMGL(you can read your neighbor messages if you know how), and for audio they use standard audio compression.
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by galgil on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:42 am
([msg=64325]see Re: mobiles that alert when connecting on unencrypted network[/msg])

so 3g networks are safer or at least more challenging to eavesdrop e.t.c? as you see i have opened a thread about a way for someone to discover your mobile number through a sd memory card. But if you say that it can be done by a neighboor then maybe an sd card isn't even needed to sniff the mobile number in a specific range close to you.
galgil
New User
New User

Post by FunctionCreep on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:46 pm
([msg=65805]see Re: mobiles that alert when connecting on unencrypted network[/msg])

galgil wrote:so 3g networks are safer or at least more challenging to eavesdrop e.t.c? as you see i have opened a thread about a way for someone to discover your mobile number through a sd memory card. But if you say that it can be done by a neighboor then maybe an sd card isn't even needed to sniff the mobile number in a specific range close to you.

I know this is kind of old but..

GSM networks do indeed operate under the A5/1 (some regions A5/2) encryption scheme. The fact that they are vulnerable though poses just a question as to what kind of expense one needs to go in order to decipher data.

3G networks are not secure either. They operate under the KASUMI system which was cracked a couple of years ago aswell.

All in all, mobile data transmission (be it voice,text or whatever) is NOT secure. So if you plan on having some kind of confidential conversation, nothing beats face to face. Or using a HAIPE device :P
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free." ~ Nikos Kazantzakis
FunctionCreep
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Telecommunications