Very new.... Advice?

A place where newbies can post without (much) fear of reprisal. All mission posts should still go in the applicable forum.
Forum rules
Older HTS users: Be nice to the new people.

NEW USERS: This is NOT the place to post about missions! Refer to "Missions" category.

Very new.... Advice?

Post by 2xdmic on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:22 am
([msg=65606]see Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

Hey everyone, if you are reading this I appreciate it a lot. I'm very new to the world of programming/hacking. It's always been something that I've been extremely interested in. I picked up a book you all may be familiar with called "Hacking, The Art of Exploitation" though my problem seems to be grasping the concepts enough to put them to actual use. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to better grasp the concepts, put the new skills to work, and all-in-all become an efficient hacker? Any constructive feedback is MUCH APPRECIATED!! Thank you.
2xdmic
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Very new.... Advice?

Post by WallShadow on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:26 am
([msg=65611]see Re: Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

Hello,

For starters, I'd recommend learning a programming language. Learn something, and then practice it until you get good at it. Learning how to make code greatly helps in learning how to exploit code. Try the first three basic missions here. If you can do those on your own, then the rest of the missions basically follow the same principals; examine, google, think, exploit.

Good luck to you!
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:04 am
([msg=65674]see Re: Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

I'd start with something simpler than that book. Look into various programming languages and try some of the missions here on HTS. This is usually the advice I give to newer people, because it's how I started.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by 2xdmic on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:26 pm
([msg=65698]see Re: Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

Ok thanks guys. What language would you suggest learning first? HTML, or should I go with something like C etc.?
2xdmic
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:33 pm
([msg=65699]see Re: Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

Everyone should know the basics of HTML. My opinion is that everyone should start there. Once you get the basics down you have an idea oh how code works and it makes the transition easier into bigger and better things.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:42 pm
([msg=65703]see Re: Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

Also, learning html is great for learning to indent code.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by WallShadow on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:42 pm
([msg=65705]see Re: Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

I agree with the opinion that everyone should know HTML, and HTML is a good way to learn to indent code.

But I have to disagree in the idea that HTML is a good starting programming language. HTML is a markup language; it is good for beginners to learn it for syntax and style purposes, but I can't say that it's a programming language worth learning first. It doesn't teach anything about variables, control structures, functions, and OOP. The only way you could learn that from HTML is if you go into embedded JavaScript programming. And that is still far off.

I personally started off with Lua, a very high level and very fun scripting language and I recommend it to anyone who wants to get into programming, however there are many other good languages to start off with.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 2xdmic on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:07 pm
([msg=65715]see Re: Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I have decided to start with Java and acquire some basic programming skills and understanding of code. From there I believe I'll move on to HTML; I've already started teaching myself some Java. I'll be away with my nose stuck in a book and my fingers on my keyboard for a while until I understand this more completely. Then it'll be time to come back and test my new-found skills! 8-)
2xdmic
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:06 am
([msg=65721]see Re: Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

2xdmic wrote: I'll be away with my nose stuck in a book and my fingers on my keyboard for a while until I understand this more completely. Then it'll be time to come back and test my new-found skills! 8-)

LOL nice, people new to this site and hacking together should have this mentality. Hell that should be the t-shirt you wear while hacking and learning, then just take it off when you go about your life outside. Sometimes I hold a knife while programming just to keep me motivated like im on some mission. lmao. Good luck 2xdmic, I hope to see you around the forums more in the future.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:00 pm
([msg=65737]see Re: Very new.... Advice?[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Sometimes I hold a knife while programming just to keep me motivated like im on some mission.

+1 and LOL
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Next

Return to NZone