Creating an OS

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

Creating an OS

Post by Copycat_Joker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:43 pm
([msg=65493]see Creating an OS[/msg])

How does one create an OS? I would like to make a mod of ZorinOS and be able to use it as both a Live USB/DVD, and installed on a computer. How would that be done? What sort of things would I have to know how to do, what sort of coding skills are required?
Copycat_Joker
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Creating an OS

Post by hellow533 on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:51 pm
([msg=65495]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

I'm going to create and operating system with no prior knowledge on how to make one.

*back at nasa*
Let's get this rocket fired!

(scientist) I don't think mahogany was a good material for a space miss-
*countdown begins*
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:19 pm
([msg=65499]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Copycat_Joker wrote:How does one create an OS? ?

You'll probably want to start by learning how to program in assembly language.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Copycat_Joker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:30 pm
([msg=65504]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:I'm going to create and operating system with no prior knowledge on how to make one.

*back at nasa*
Let's get this rocket fired!

(scientist) I don't think mahogany was a good material for a space miss-
*countdown begins*

Well, I was wanting to know what the prior knowledge I need to know was first, so that I can learn it.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:
Copycat_Joker wrote:How does one create an OS? ?

You'll probably want to start by learning how to program in assembly language.

Alright, what do I have to learn to be able to do that? Is there a preferred order of things to learn? Like, "first learn this, and then this and this, and then you can learn this"?
Copycat_Joker
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:56 pm
([msg=65506]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Why do you wanna learn how to make an OS?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by Copycat_Joker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:29 pm
([msg=65508]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Because I want to learn everything I can about computers- hardware, software, networking, security, Internet, etc.
Copycat_Joker
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:51 pm
([msg=65509]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Copycat_Joker wrote:Because I want to learn everything I can about computers- hardware, software, networking, security, Internet, etc.

That's quite a daunting task. What do you know as of right now?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:02 pm
([msg=65510]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Copycat_Joker wrote:How does one create an OS? I would like to make a mod of ZorinOS and be able to use it as both a Live USB/DVD, and installed on a computer. How would that be done? What sort of things would I have to know how to do, what sort of coding skills are required?

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Welcome to the wonderful realm of OS developing, where I have been for the past 2 years.

Well, if you want to make a mod of a Linux based OS, that's pretty easy. All that is required is for you to mod your current, or a test OS, then just make a bootable version of it and distribute.

But, if you want to make an actual OS, from scratch, then you're going to be in for a fun run...

Either way, you'll want to program, program, program, program. And when you're tired and bored from programming, program some more. I would suggest programming in C as your main language, and mastering it to such an extent that you want your future wife (or husband) to have a built in compiler. If you don't know C, learn it. Then, repeat the previous steps.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:You'll probably want to start by learning how to program in assembly language.

Actually, unless you really want to, you only need ASM for about 3 or 4 parts. C is the most dominate language.

Copycat_Joker wrote:Well, I was wanting to know what the prior knowledge I need to know was first, so that I can learn it.

Google.
osdev.org
osdever.net

Copycat_Joker wrote:Alright, what do I have to learn to be able to do that? Is there a preferred order of things to learn? Like, "first learn this, and then this and this, and then you can learn this"?

(Setting up to learn C, if you already know a programming language, skip to third step)
Learn HTML
Learn PHP
Learn C
Learn ASM
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Copycat_Joker on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:00 pm
([msg=65511]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
Copycat_Joker wrote:How does one create an OS? I would like to make a mod of ZorinOS and be able to use it as both a Live USB/DVD, and installed on a computer. How would that be done? What sort of things would I have to know how to do, what sort of coding skills are required?

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Welcome to the wonderful realm of OS developing, where I have been for the past 2 years.

Well, if you want to make a mod of a Linux based OS, that's pretty easy. All that is required is for you to mod your current, or a test OS, then just make a bootable version of it and distribute.

But, if you want to make an actual OS, from scratch, then you're going to be in for a fun run...

Either way, you'll want to program, program, program, program. And when you're tired and bored from programming, program some more. I would suggest programming in C as your main language, and mastering it to such an extent that you want your future wife (or husband) to have a built in compiler. If you don't know C, learn it. Then, repeat the previous steps.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:You'll probably want to start by learning how to program in assembly language.

Actually, unless you really want to, you only need ASM for about 3 or 4 parts. C is the most dominate language.

Copycat_Joker wrote:Well, I was wanting to know what the prior knowledge I need to know was first, so that I can learn it.

Google.
osdev.org
osdever.net

Copycat_Joker wrote:Alright, what do I have to learn to be able to do that? Is there a preferred order of things to learn? Like, "first learn this, and then this and this, and then you can learn this"?

(Setting up to learn C, if you already know a programming language, skip to third step)
Learn HTML
Learn PHP
Learn C
Learn ASM

I was wanting to just mod a Linux-based OS. I just want to know how, and how to make it into a bootable .IMG file. Just a mod, not from scratch.

@anarchy420x- I know HTML, some CSS, and some Javascript. Next for me to study is PHP. I've already put what I've learned into practice Administrating a PHPbb2 forum and creating custom HTML pages for it, and also using Javasript and CSS to make it the way I want it. I also know all the CompTia A+ stuff as well, which is what is needed for the A+ Certification from Microsoft to become an entry-level Computer Technician. I've also been completing some of the challenges on HTS, you can see which ones I've completed so far here: http://www.hackthissite.org/user/view/Copycat_Joker/
Copycat_Joker
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:24 pm
([msg=65530]see Re: Creating an OS[/msg])

Copycat_Joker wrote:I was wanting to just mod a Linux-based OS. I just want to know how, and how to make it into a bootable .IMG file. Just a mod, not from scratch.

Then you wouldn't really be creating an Operating System... But whatever suites your fancy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-6509.html
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to Operating Systems