Wireless routers

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Wireless routers

Post by KSEboom on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:56 pm
([msg=571]see Wireless routers[/msg])

I need some advise on Routers. I have a Belkin G Router at the moment and it use to run smoothly. But now it shorts out after 45-60 minutes.
So I need a new Router. Any suggestions? Like, what brands to hit and miss.

Thanks.
Why is BBcode off? :(
KSEboom
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Wireless routers

Post by Wyrmkill on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:37 pm
([msg=603]see Re: Wireless routers[/msg])

Most routers use the same internal components, so its not like your paying for something different on the inside, your basically paying for a name.

Linksys is the most fun to play with. Because you can upgrade the firmware and make those routers do amazing things.
Belkin has an excellent Wireless-N router, it has an LCD on the front and shows you network up and down speeds and other information.

Personally, I'd go with Linksys for anything G related (Not the SpeedBooster, that shits just a gimmick)
And I'd go with that Belkin N router for any N networks.

Either way, both are fast.
Wyrmkill
New User
New User

Post by Jesus_of_Suburbia on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:38 pm
([msg=614]see Re: Wireless routers[/msg])

Wyrmkill wrote:Most routers use the same internal components, so its not like your paying for something different on the inside, your basically paying for a name.

Linksys is the most fun to play with. Because you can upgrade the firmware and make those routers do amazing things.
Belkin has an excellent Wireless-N router, it has an LCD on the front and shows you network up and down speeds and other information.

Personally, I'd go with Linksys for anything G related (Not the SpeedBooster, that shits just a gimmick)

The belkin (i think) your talking about has a really clumsy navigation system for that LCD, and it's on the top of the router, useless if you have a lot of things to stack.

I like Linksys, they used to be good, and now they are even better now that Cisco owns them.

Unless you do a lot of file sharing between computers on your own network, G should be fine, N isn't technically a standard, so there is the slight chance that newer N equipment will not be compatable with what you get now.

But it's up to you, Linksys and Belkin are good brands, i personally stay away from Netgear, but as Wrym said, they are all essentially the same (i think the netgear UI is just rubbish though...).
Jesus_of_Suburbia
New User
New User

Post by Wyrmkill on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:53 am
([msg=635]see Re: Wireless routers[/msg])

Jesus_of_Suburbia wrote:
Wyrmkill wrote:Most routers use the same internal components, so its not like your paying for something different on the inside, your basically paying for a name.

The belkin (i think) your talking about has a really clumsy navigation system for that LCD, and it's on the top of the router, useless if you have a lot of things to stack.

I like Linksys, they used to be good, and now they are even better now that Cisco owns them.

Unless you do a lot of file sharing between computers on your own network, G should be fine, N isn't technically a standard, so there is the slight chance that newer N equipment will not be compatable with what you get now.

But it's up to you, Linksys and Belkin are good brands, i personally stay away from Netgear, but as Wrym said, they are all essentially the same (i think the netgear UI is just rubbish though...).

The Belkin router I am talking about is: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=377018

I think you were talking about the n1 router, which has that clumsy navigation system.

I use a netgear at home, it's cheap, it works well, but how you have to set it up inside the router is lame.
Wyrmkill
New User
New User

Post by hooraybeer on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:03 am
([msg=6532]see Re: Wireless routers[/msg])

I would agree that Linksys it probably the best choice. I own a linksys wrt54g, running Tomato firmware it works like a charm.

Also, you might want to double check that the router isn't overheating. My old router would be on a carpeted floor and always overheated, it took me a bit too long to figure out the source of that problem ;-)
hooraybeer
New User
New User

Post by thedotmaster on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:55 am
([msg=7331]see Re: Wireless routers[/msg])

hooraybeer wrote:I would agree that Linksys it probably the best choice. I own a linksys wrt54g, running Tomato firmware it works like a charm.

Also, you might want to double check that the router isn't overheating. My old router would be on a carpeted floor and always overheated, it took me a bit too long to figure out the source of that problem ;-)

Apparently routers over heating is a big cause of house fires..
:?
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Networking