New Anti-virus

The constant threat: viruses, trojans, spyware, ... the list goes on

New Anti-virus

Post by anarchy420x on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 pm
([msg=65295]see New Anti-virus[/msg])

I'm running AVG Free; I think it might be slacking. I'm looking for other Anti-viruses to try out. Also, looking for info on anything else I should scan my system with to make sure it's "secure".
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New Anti-virus

Post by wan26 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:26 am
([msg=65299]see Re: New Anti-virus[/msg])

Other things to try when securing windows could be; closing down services that you don't need like remote registry or remote desktop service etc, some of which listen on ports, applying a security template/gpo to your machine such as nist along with 'hardening' the local security policy.

For your connection; Change your routers password to something stronger, change the wpa authentication key regularly, disable wps if you can. Also adjust the routers firewall carefully to ignore probes, fragmented packets, and filter properly.

AVG free is ok for an anti-virus with a low memory footprint, and worked alright with EMET.

You could scan your system with MBSA to see if it's configured well too.
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:55 am
([msg=65302]see Re: New Anti-virus[/msg])

wan26 wrote:Other things to try when securing windows could be; closing down services that you don't need like remote registry or remote desktop service etc, some of which listen on ports, applying a security template/gpo to your machine such as nist along with 'hardening' the local security policy.

For your connection; Change your routers password to something stronger, change the wpa authentication key regularly, disable wps if you can. Also adjust the routers firewall carefully to ignore probes, fragmented packets, and filter properly.

AVG free is ok for an anti-virus with a low memory footprint, and worked alright with EMET.

You could scan your system with MBSA to see if it's configured well too.

Thank you very much for your reply, but you threw quite a few acronyms out there that I have not idea what they are. I'll list them: NIST, GPO,EMET, MBSA. I'm sure I could Google a few of them to figure out what they are, but to avoid me getting confused, would you mind posting the long versions of the names for me to Google? :)
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by wan26 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:00 am
([msg=65303]see Re: New Anti-virus[/msg])

Yeah I put too many acronyms in there sorry yes,

MBSA microsoft baseline security analyzer
NIST http://csrc.nist.gov/itsec/
EMET Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit
GPO, group policy object editor is a snapin for the microsoft management consol

When I was hardening my machine, I over did it once and screwed things up but later made a backup then applied changes because some of the settings mess with usability
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:09 am
([msg=65304]see Re: New Anti-virus[/msg])

Thank you very much; I'm going to have to do some research tomorrow. It's late here. I have a last question for you (that was probably a lie) Does the loads of security effect your computer performance a lot, or is it like the smoking conundrum? If that doesn't make sense, I'll explain. Thanks much in advance.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by wan26 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:27 am
([msg=65305]see Re: New Anti-virus[/msg])

It's all good :)

I see configuring Windows as a balancing act between performance and security, as opposed to Linux which always works for me out of the box. Some settings and measures to increase security in Windows, like closing services etc can increase performance, with other things such as security templates I tried different configurations over time to see what the effect was, knowing I had a back up if I harmed my machine in some way. And in the end it worked out, and probably helped that I never used the machine for gaming.

All in all my general rule was, the less processes I had enjoying my RAM the better, as I never cared for all the fancy regalia that comes with the OS, I would even have just a classic desktop lol. Anyway, in my opinion it's worth it doing all this then scanning it with MBSA or even GFI Languard too.

Any unnecessary program or service, as well as listening ports, to me, are attack vectors.
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by centip3de on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:39 pm
([msg=65352]see Re: New Anti-virus[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:I'm running AVG Free; I think it might be slacking. I'm looking for other Anti-viruses to try out. Also, looking for info on anything else I should scan my system with to make sure it's "secure".

wan26 pretty much answered your entire question, but you should also check out SuperAntiVirusFree, always worked back when I used Windows.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by progTest1234 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:34 pm
([msg=65414]see Re: New Anti-virus[/msg])

a
progTest1234
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:28 am
([msg=65418]see Re: New Anti-virus[/msg])

progTest1234 wrote:a

Did your program work?
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:17 pm
([msg=65428]see Re: New Anti-virus[/msg])

anarchy420x wrote:
progTest1234 wrote:a

Did your program work?

It's not done yet, but it's close to it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to Malware