Win7 doesn't react

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Win7 doesn't react

Post by Dahaar on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:59 pm
([msg=65147]see Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

Hi,

From one day to the other, my laptop with win7 stopped reacting to any input from mouse or keyboard. Its starts normally without errors, but at the startscreen it doesn't let me do anything. Wierd thing is that the fingerprint sensor still works. I checked the BIOS, USB is enabled and in the BIOS menu the keyboard works just fine. I also started with a linux live cd to check the partition for errors, everything seems to be ok. Google also didn't help me so far.

Any ideas what the reason for this may be and what i could do to repair it. I mean, I could just load a backup, but first I want to know what exactly went wrong(got me cuious ;) ).

Thanks, Dahaar

PS: I don't have a Windows 7 Repair Disc atm and I don't really want to get one just for this.
Dahaar
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Win7 doesn't react

Post by anarchy420x on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 pm
([msg=65148]see Re: Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

You said you checked the to see that USB port was enabled. Does that mean you are trying to get an external keyboard and mouse to work?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm
([msg=65150]see Re: Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

Have you tried starting it in safe mode? If the keyboard works in that and not regular startup it may indicate a driver issue. Anyways, I'm not sure what laptop you have but after doing a google search I found the following link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/laptop-keyboard-not-working/c45eb79a-76ef-42fb-8b26-69e6546680e5

Hopefully that may be able to help. Do you recall any recent updates that may have been installed?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by mShred on Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:34 pm
([msg=65159]see Re: Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

I'd say this is most likely a driver issue. Like Logic said, it could have dealt with an update. Try safe mode. If that doesn't work, I'd say use the backup.
If it IS a driver issue, you would either have to find a way to update it or reinstall them. But this would be somewhat hard without access to the OS.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by centip3de on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:45 pm
([msg=65168]see Re: Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

Dahaar wrote:Hi,

From one day to the other, my laptop with win7 stopped reacting to any input from mouse or keyboard. Its starts normally without errors, but at the startscreen it doesn't let me do anything. Wierd thing is that the fingerprint sensor still works. I checked the BIOS, USB is enabled and in the BIOS menu the keyboard works just fine. I also started with a linux live cd to check the partition for errors, everything seems to be ok. Google also didn't help me so far.

Any ideas what the reason for this may be and what i could do to repair it. I mean, I could just load a backup, but first I want to know what exactly went wrong(got me cuious ;) ).

Thanks, Dahaar

PS: I don't have a Windows 7 Repair Disc atm and I don't really want to get one just for this.

Or install Linux... Just sayin'
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Dahaar on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:17 am
([msg=65189]see Re: Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

I checked USB in BIOS because i'm using an external mouse, but the touchpad doesn't work either.
I tried starting in safe mode, too, but I have the same problem even there. Now I tried the win 7 repair option, but it ran for 10 hours saying "repairing" without any result.

centip3de wrote:Or install Linux... Just sayin'

I'm actually thinking about that, I'm really fed up with windows and it's problems.
Dahaar
New User
New User

Post by anarchy420x on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:29 pm
([msg=65195]see Re: Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

Were you able to get your keyboard working in safe mode?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:20 am
([msg=65197]see Re: Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

Wait, mShred is confused. Are you getting the keyboard to work in BIOS or not? If you aren't, then it's most likely a hardware problem. But I don't see how you could boot in safe mode without being able to use the keyboard.. Either way, it's probably just Windblows, as already mentioned.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Dahaar on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:18 am
([msg=65201]see Re: Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

The keyboard works in the BIOS, but neither internal nor external keyboard or mouse or touchpad work when the OS is started. Just the same when in safe mode. I can only access data when booting with a linux live cd, where keyboard and mouse are working properly, so it can't be something with the hardware.
Dahaar
New User
New User

Post by wan26 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:46 pm
([msg=65206]see Re: Win7 doesn't react[/msg])

Might be worth a try enabling USB legacy mode, as I had the same issue a few months ago and this worked.
wan26
Experienced User
Experienced User

Next

Return to Microsoft Windows