Securing your machine

Data that travels over the air and how to protect (or decipher) it

Securing your machine

Post by razibog on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:55 am
([msg=64262]see Securing your machine[/msg])

Greetings,

I have searched around the site a little, but didn't find anything that would satisfy me.
I am currently working on securing my laptop, im working on iptables (if you have any better suggestions, do tell, gonna use APF, as suggestion of a friend, could also set it up manually, if it speeds up anything), next stop is the stuff outside my home, i want to set up a proxy / vpn / ssh tunnel, i currently have tor installed, no fancy settings yet, any tips on what do to next, which is the best option?
Have seen some recommendations elsewhere, but all for windows :/

Cheers, razi.
razibog
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Securing your machine

Post by tremor77 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:12 am
([msg=64264]see Re: Securing your machine[/msg])

You probably should of state that your running a linux lappy but I inferred from the mention of iptables.... what distro? Ubuntu? What types of optional things do you want to run on it?

A couple of quick things to do would be to close up everything you DONT want running. Learn what services and processes can run you a barebones install. If they aren't running then for the most part they are not a threat. (apache, ssh, telnet and mail servers - I don't see why you'd have them on a laptop anyway, but unless you want them make sure they be off).

I probably sound like a broken record for at-home networking defense nothing beats a nice hardware firewall configured between your cable or dsl modem and your home network. Even SoHo crap like a Linksys or Netgear Wireless Router comes with a standard routing and access control panel that can help you lock down traffic if you know what you are doing.

A little info on your setup could help someone be more specific.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by razibog on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:01 am
([msg=64267]see Re: Securing your machine[/msg])

Running Arch linux with dwm.

I want to use it for fooling around the internet and nearby networks, besides that, coding and browsing, so no servers running or anything like that.

I also have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 with Tomato firmware running from my modem, distributing wifi across the house.
razibog
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:56 am
([msg=64316]see Re: Securing your machine[/msg])

razibog wrote:Running Arch linux with dwm.

Good choice.

I want to use it for fooling around the internet and nearby networks, besides that, coding and browsing, so no servers running or anything like that.

For that, I'd suggest Backtrack.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Networking