Windows 8 backdoor

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by centip3de on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:47 pm
([msg=64252]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Mars7411 wrote:Mac and Linux are is a lot better than Windows.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by Mars7411 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:59 pm
([msg=64253]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Wrong. Mac os x is the best, it looks nicer and operates better. It has a better terminal. It's even more secure than linux. And it only costs $29. That is very cheap for what you get.
Mars7411
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by mShred on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:06 pm
([msg=64254]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Mars7411 wrote:Wrong. Mac os x is the best, it looks nicer and operates better. It has a better terminal. It's even more secure than linux. And it only costs $29. That is very cheap for what you get.

Yeah.. Except the hardware is gonna be about another thousand. So I'm gonna go ahead and quote cent
centip3de wrote:
Mars7411 wrote:Mac and Linux are is a lot better than Windows.

Yeah. Anyway, I love how OP completely switched gears after realizing that his paranoidness was nothing more than paranoidness.
Image

For those about to rock.
User avatar
mShred
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1686
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by centip3de on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:22 pm
([msg=64258]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Mars7411 wrote:Wrong. Mac os x is the best, it looks nicer and operates better. It has a better terminal. It's even more secure than linux. And it only costs $29. That is very cheap for what you get.


It's based off Unix, which is very closely related to Linux. Linux operates the same if not better. If all you're basing your computer off is looks, then you really shouldn't be learning about anything that is technical, as it's not important to you. Besides, you can give _any_ computer desktop a facelift. The terminal with Linux is the same, if not worse. Actually, it's less secure if I say so myself; mainly because there are so few people who _want_ to break into Linux based systems, your secure by default logic alone. If that isn't enough to protect you, they have more protection apps, for free, than any OS on the market. Linux is free, it's very cheap for what you get.

mShred wrote:Yeah. Anyway, I love how OP completely switched gears after realizing that his paranoidness was nothing more than paranoidness.


I lol'd.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by Mars7411 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 am
([msg=64263]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
Mars7411 wrote:Wrong. Mac os x is the best, it looks nicer and operates better. It has a better terminal. It's even more secure than linux. And it only costs $29. That is very cheap for what you get.


It's based off Unix, which is very closely related to Linux. Linux operates the same if not better. If all you're basing your computer off is looks, then you really shouldn't be learning about anything that is technical, as it's not important to you. Besides, you can give _any_ computer desktop a facelift. The terminal with Linux is the same, if not worse. Actually, it's less secure if I say so myself; mainly because there are so few people who _want_ to break into Linux based systems, your secure by default logic alone. If that isn't enough to protect you, they have more protection apps, for free, than any OS on the market. Linux is free, it's very cheap for what you get.

Mac also has protection apps created by apple. And mac os x has gotten the SUS (single unix specification), no linux distros got the SUS.
Mars7411
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by ghost107 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:10 am
([msg=64268]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Since it has become a thread of Linux vs Mac here is some things.

A)Linux gives you the freedom to tinker with your operating system, the freedom to do what ever you want. And its a cheap way if you don't have money.
B)Mac are limited(you are limited to Mac Hardware), you can Install A mac operating system on PC but this will be illegal and full of problems(not all hardware is supported).

Conclusion:
Since linux does not have Hardware limitations(like Mac), and its free it has a lot more support, since linux lets you chose your computer or lets you make your own, mac will not give you this freedom on their systems.

P.S. Never saw a MAC server(usually they are either windows or Linux, or Unix ), the security is not for desktop computers important, but more for Server ones.
ghost107
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:57 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by Mars7411 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:21 am
([msg=64269]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

ghost107 wrote:Since it has become a thread of Linux vs Mac here is some things.

A)Linux gives you the freedom to tinker with your operating system, the freedom to do what ever you want. And its a cheap way if you don't have money.
B)Mac are limited(you are limited to Mac Hardware), you can Install A mac operating system on PC but this will be illegal and full of problems(not all hardware is supported).

Conclusion:
Since linux does not have Hardware limitations(like Mac), and its free it has a lot more support, since linux lets you chose your computer or lets you make your own, mac will not give you this freedom on their systems.

P.S. Never saw a MAC server(usually they are either windows or Linux, or Unix ), the security is not for desktop computers important, but more for Server ones.

A)Linux has lots of bugs and is not very customizable, but sure, it's cheap, I would never pay for an os like that.
B)Macs don't have many bugs (I've never seen any bugs on macs), it is more customizable than Linux, there is a lot more software availible for mac than linux. And macs are much easier for development.
By the way: That is true that you have to buy a mac computer, the cheapest one is only $600, which is a good price. To poor to afford it? To bad.
Mars7411
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by centip3de on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:26 pm
([msg=64270]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Mars7411 wrote:A)Linux has lots of bugs and is not very customizable, but sure, it's cheap, I would never pay for an os like that.
B)Macs don't have many bugs (I've never seen any bugs on macs), it is more customizable than Linux, there is a lot more software availible for mac than linux. And macs are much easier for development.
By the way: That is true that you have to buy a mac computer, the cheapest one is only $600, which is a good price. To poor to afford it? To bad.


A) LOLOLOLOL. I'm sorry, but can you edit the source code of a Mac? Can you make your own OS using the same files on a Mac? Can you change ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING you want on a Mac? Can make something for Mac, that then gets into the next release for it? Can you make your Mac look like Winodws, or Linux? The answer to those, is all a no. Also, you DON'T pay for Linux, every single distribution is free. All of them.

B) Type 'Known Mac Bugs' into Google, you'll find more than you could ever want. See 'A' for all the customization options on Linux (I know I'm missing a few things). There may be more software _natively_ for Mac, but Linux can use almost any Windows or Mac application with WINE or Crossover or PlayOnLinux. How is Mac easier to develop for, at all? You can run ANY programming language on any Linux machine.

By the way: Macs are so overpriced it isn't even funny. They've done hundreds of studies where they have gotten similar, if not better hardware, and run Mac OS X on it, for hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars cheaper.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
User avatar
centip3de
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by Mars7411 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:42 pm
([msg=64271]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
Mars7411 wrote:A)Linux has lots of bugs and is not very customizable, but sure, it's cheap, I would never pay for an os like that.
B)Macs don't have many bugs (I've never seen any bugs on macs), it is more customizable than Linux, there is a lot more software availible for mac than linux. And macs are much easier for development.
By the way: That is true that you have to buy a mac computer, the cheapest one is only $600, which is a good price. To poor to afford it? To bad.


A) LOLOLOLOL. I'm sorry, but can you edit the source code of a Mac? Can you make your own OS using the same files on a Mac? Can you change ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING you want on a Mac? Can make something for Mac, that then gets into the next release for it? Can you make your Mac look like Winodws, or Linux? The answer to those, is all a no. Also, you DON'T pay for Linux, every single distribution is free. All of them.

B) Type 'Known Mac Bugs' into Google, you'll find more than you could ever want. See 'A' for all the customization options on Linux (I know I'm missing a few things). There may be more software _natively_ for Mac, but Linux can use almost any Windows or Mac application with WINE or Crossover or PlayOnLinux. How is Mac easier to develop for, at all? You can run ANY programming language on any Linux machine.

By the way: Macs are so overpriced it isn't even funny. They've done hundreds of studies where they have gotten similar, if not better hardware, and run Mac OS X on it, for hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars cheaper.

Yeah, you may be right but mac os x is still better than windows or the xbox 360 os.
Mars7411
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by limdis on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:01 pm
([msg=64272]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Image
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
User avatar
limdis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1319
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron