Finish Doxing Challenge?

Social engineering is the art of manipulating people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

Finish Doxing Challenge?

Post by limdis on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:51 pm
([msg=64221]see Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

Alright so a couple months back I was fervently designing and creating a doxing challenge. mShred was the only one that knew about the idea and was getting updates on the progress. Life got in the way and I had to push pause on the development. Now that I am getting a bit of time to work on it, I was wondering if the community would be interested. I've already put in a TON of hours, and as of now it's only about half way completed. I want to make sure that if it goes live, it's flawless and fun. So I decided to mention it out in the open. If you all would like to see it go live, let me know.

Some details of how its designed already:
- Challenge is designed to teach introductory doxing techniques and data mining. My primary objective is to enlighten individuals just how easy it is for someone to gather information, personal and otherwise. So that they can take the proper steps to protect themselves or loved ones.
- There are 10 objectives that build on each other. In other words, it will be hard to complete the challenge out of order because you will not have the information needed to find the next piece of the puzzle.
- A fake identity has been created for the target of the challenge, and great detail has been put in to make it feel real.
- If it goes well and people enjoy it, I have left room to expand and build on newer more complicated challenges.

That's all I'm saying right now. Again if you guys want to see it go live, I'll make it happen. If you think it will flop, then cool I'll stop the dev and I'll write up an article or something instead.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:33 pm
([msg=64225]see Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

I think it's an interesting idea. I'd for one be willing to participate. Possibly a weekly challenge so everyone can get involved despite the variances in locations and free time. It would be entertaining and informational at the least. Not to long ago there was talk about having a social engineering lecture but it really was never followed through with. If more people are willing to get involved I don't see why it couldn't be carried out. I'd be looking forward to see others response to this.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Dahaar on Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:52 am
([msg=64238]see Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

I like it, too.
Sounds really interested to me. I already tried doxing myself, but wrapped up in a challenge gives it a new aspect.
So if it goes live, you can count me in ;)
Dahaar
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:17 pm
([msg=64240]see Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

If it involves doxing then you should probably find a way to have me involved in some way. Not saying but i'm saying. It's sort of my specialty. :ugeek:

Whether it be testing what you've got setup already or helping add some things, I'd be very interested in helping.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:32 pm
([msg=64247]see Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

I'm with everyone else, go for it man.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mShred on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:50 pm
([msg=64249]see Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

Don't do it. That's illegal.
Btlieksrsly, I'm just as down as I was back when you introduced it. tremor77 just wants credit..

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by limdis on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:31 pm
([msg=64255]see Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

Sweet thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to pour a ton of time into it and nobody show interest. Shred I know you are in lol.

tremor77 I was already planning on asking you if you wanted to give it a test run when that time comes. I've seen you post a lot on the topic before. It should be relatively easy for you. But challenging enough for new bloods to get a little frustrated :twisted:
I would really like to expand it later if everyone likes it and wants more.

I do know that I will need some help with a submission system. Not sure what its going to look like but I do know that it will need to be able to accept multiple correct answers. But I can break down that info more when I finish designing the challenge. Like I mentioned before its about 50% complete right now.

Alright, I'll start working on it again.
limdis

Post by tremor77 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:25 am
([msg=64265]see Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

Submission system: PHP & Regex FTW. Is this going to be tied into HTS somehow or is it just an independent challenge?
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:53 am
([msg=64266]see Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:Submission system: PHP & Regex FTW

noted

It's tied in with HTS. It will start here anyway, then after that it branches out across the net. I thought it would be cool to have the submission system tell the user on a yes or no basis if they are correct on each objective. I've thrown in some deterrents, as if the target was actually trying to be somewhat cautious about openly spreading his identity. That way those learning to dox for the first time wont automatically believe the first thing they find is what they are looking for. As you and I both know, that's usually the case. Also have the score submissions saved so we could view/post them in the mission thread or wherever.
limdis

Post by tremor77 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:03 pm
([msg=64392]see Re: Finish Doxing Challenge?[/msg])

- side note - this forum should have a topic subscription option, for those topics that you want to follow -

anyway, feel free to PM me if you want.. maybe I'll take some time to get on IRC one of these days.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Social Engineering