Windows 8 backdoor

The ubiquitous operating system, discussion of its (many) flaws, and how to mitigate the risks of those flaws

Re: Windows 8 backdoor

Post by centip3de on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:14 pm
([msg=64208]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Mars7411 wrote:Well I am never going to upgrade to windows 8 because of that reason.

I will believe it once I see the source you are referring to.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Mars7411 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:43 pm
([msg=64211]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
Mars7411 wrote:Well I am never going to upgrade to windows 8 because of that reason.

OK, go here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 download windows 8 developer preview and after you finnesh downloading it, read the god damn license agreement.
Mars7411
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by MNP_Hikaru on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:51 pm
([msg=64212]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Mars7411 wrote:
centip3de wrote:

OK, go here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516 download windows 8 developer preview and after you finnesh downloading it, read the god damn license agreement.

There's no need for hostilities, he just asked for proof of your claim.
One of these days there's gonna be a real profound quote down here.
MNP_Hikaru
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by tremor77 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:06 pm
([msg=64213]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

I'd ask that you also read the license agreement for Windows 7, XP, Any OS for that matter as well as many other things like browsers and software applications. You are probably referring to the portion of the EULA that deals with updates and patches, error reporting and QOS. Pretty much any legalspeak for any EULA for just about any software product is going to have you signing away your life and agreeing that you'll bend over for any anal probe the developers might ask of you.

Also - here is a fun article, it's about a year old... a bit off topic but I landed on it while looking for some EULA snippets that I though about posting for this reply.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/black-ops-how-hbgary-wrote-backdoors-and-rootkits-for-the-government.ars

-- Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:08 pm --

-- and now for that example.. found a good one from the SKYPE EULA (from a few years ago, may not be the current EULA)

9. Disclaimer of Warranties.
(c) THE SKYPE SOFTWARE IS UTILIZED AND DISTRIBUTED BY THIRD PARTIES WHICH ARE UNRELATED TO SKYPER. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT INSTALLATION OF THE SKYPE SOFTWARE WILL ALLOW THIRD PARTIES WHO ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH SKYPER THE ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR COMPUTER ("OUTSIDE PARTIES"). YOU AGREE THAT SKYPER WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE, CLAIM OR LOSS OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES AS STATED IN PARAGRAPH 9(a) ABOVE, RESULTING FROM ANY ACTIONS OR OMISSIONS OF THE OUTSIDE PARTIES.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by VPR3 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 pm
([msg=64224]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

The feds had hands on Windows 7 before it was released to the public so it's no big deal. What's big about installing a bag door? Windows already loads of security holes, they don't need to put one in. To put it another way if there is no PR problem there is no security problem.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:58 pm
([msg=64226]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

MNP_Hikaru wrote:There's no need for hostilities, he just asked for proof of your claim.

^ This. There really isn't any need. Your posting on a forum, expect some back and forth. Just for future reference, if you post something with these kind of claims expect to present the source so others can be informed just like you were.

On a second note, not too long ago there was some hype going around the internet about certain smart phones which contain an app called carrier IQ....Which in short logs everything you do: http://www.slashgear.com/developer-reveals-hidden-carrier-iq-smartphone-app-logging-everything-you-do-30198935/ This doesn't just fall on Microsoft's plate or pc's for that matter. Point is, just because you don't get Windows 8 because of this doesn't mean you will not have some other device or software(in case you don't get Windows 8) that will contain something similar.

Another thing to keep in mind is when Windows 8 comes out obviously some business will have this. It wouldn't be in Microsoft's best interests if someone found a zero day and leveraged this back door to their advantage to gain some kind of unauthorized access. Just read the recent news, the government isn't the end all and be all of tech savvy people.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Mars7411 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:34 am
([msg=64230]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:
MNP_Hikaru wrote:There's no need for hostilities, he just asked for proof of your claim.

^ This. There really isn't any need. Your posting on a forum, expect some back and forth. Just for future reference, if you post something with these kind of claims expect to present the source so others can be informed just like you were.

On a second note, not too long ago there was some hype going around the internet about certain smart phones which contain an app called carrier IQ....Which in short logs everything you do: http://www.slashgear.com/developer-reveals-hidden-carrier-iq-smartphone-app-logging-everything-you-do-30198935/ This doesn't just fall on Microsoft's plate or pc's for that matter. Point is, just because you don't get Windows 8 because of this doesn't mean you will not have some other device or software(in case you don't get Windows 8) that will contain something similar.

Another thing to keep in mind is when Windows 8 comes out obviously some business will have this. It wouldn't be in Microsoft's best interests if someone found a zero day and leveraged this back door to their advantage to gain some kind of unauthorized access. Just read the recent news, the government isn't the end all and be all of tech savvy people.

I hope microsoft goes out of bizzness, then we would have nothing to worry about.
Mars7411
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by tremor77 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:57 am
([msg=64237]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Windows 8 will flop like Vista. It's just the nature of the Microsoft OS cycle. Every other release blows and flops.. and Microsoft knows this.. which is why they'll half ass it, release it buggy, patch it alot, extend the Windows 7 lifespan to 2014 and about 1 or 2 years from now they'll roll out a rebranded and updated version of Windows 8 and call it Windows Ultimate or something like that, and people will be like.. WOW this is so much better than Windows 8 was..
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:17 pm
([msg=64243]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Mars7411 wrote:I hope microsoft goes out of bizzness, then we would have nothing to worry about.

Just like Logical said, other applications will have the same, or at least part of the same thing in their EULA. So, whether or not you're using a Windows OS or not, doesn't really matter. Most, if not all applications that have an automatic update, which is why they have that in their EULA. You can't really run from this, unless you want to develop your own everything... Which would be pretty sweet... Hmmm...

tremor77 wrote:Windows 8 will flop like Vista. It's just the nature of the Microsoft OS cycle. Every other release blows and flops.. and Microsoft knows this.. which is why they'll half ass it, release it buggy, patch it alot, extend the Windows 7 lifespan to 2014 and about 1 or 2 years from now they'll roll out a rebranded and updated version of Windows 8 and call it Windows Ultimate or something like that, and people will be like.. WOW this is so much better than Windows 8 was..

Linux? Yes, I think Linux.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by Mars7411 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:45 pm
([msg=64251]see Re: Windows 8 backdoor[/msg])

Mac and linux are a lot better than windows.
Mars7411
Experienced User
Experienced User

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft Windows