Mass website opener

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Mass website opener

Post by iistapp on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:02 am
([msg=64165]see Mass website opener[/msg])

Say I got a internet page sat up, I got a list of 1000 computers that I have to send a command to.

I have this all sat up and ready on a page, but the problem is, I manually have to click the button next to the computer name 1000 times to do this... SO Is there a way to automate this?

Like open up all of the "buttons" I have created on the page with say a script, so it runs in say 1000 tabs in a second, so i don't have to manually click these tabs 1000 times?

I know it's way to little information, I just need to know if it's do-able and a easy job.
iistapp
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mass website opener

Post by ghost107 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:29 am
([msg=64167]see Re: Mass website opener[/msg])

If its an webpage you could create an application that sends a HTTP request (GET,POST, PUT,DELETE,w/e methods the server uses) that will repeat for 1000 times. More info read HTTP/1.1
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:38 am
([msg=64170]see Re: Mass website opener[/msg])

Not knowing what the button does and how it needs to run it is hard to say. If you were sending commands to 1000 computers from a webpage, you would have to assume that these computers are linked to web server somehow or that it is part of the same local network. Otherwise I don't see how your page will actively interact with any exterior terminal. One method I would use in something like this though, would be to write something in perl or php with a loop to go through an array of targets and then just execute the program via a web interface.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:21 pm
([msg=64176]see Re: Mass website opener[/msg])

Or, if you're able to add a program to these computers, it's fairly straight forward to make a Python script that will check a server and see if a specific command has been issued, and then act on that command. If you don't have a server, you could always just use email to communicate to your programs.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Programming