Sandboxie and ollydbg

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

Sandboxie and ollydbg

Post by UNSC_AI8085 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:28 pm
([msg=64158]see Sandboxie and ollydbg[/msg])

Hi

has anyone managed to get ollydbg and sandboxie to work together?
i keep getting the debugged program unable to process exception... (while inside the sandbox)
however this error is not present when i debug from outside the sandbox. I would prefer it if i can debug software from within a sandbox. You can even install most software using sandboxie.

I was however able to debug other programs while sandboxed, i think it may be because some of the plugins i have installed to protect olly are not working inside the sandboxed
UNSC_AI8085
Experienced User
Experienced User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Sandboxie and ollydbg

Post by centip3de on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 pm
([msg=64162]see Re: Sandboxie and ollydbg[/msg])

UNSC_AI8085 wrote:Hi

has anyone managed to get ollydbg and sandboxie to work together?
i keep getting the debugged program unable to process exception... (while inside the sandbox)
however this error is not present when i debug from outside the sandbox. I would prefer it if i can debug software from within a sandbox. You can even install most software using sandboxie.

I was however able to debug other programs while sandboxed, i think it may be because some of the plugins i have installed to protect olly are not working inside the sandboxed

It could very well be the plugins that you're using, but it could also be that OllyDBG runs in Ring 0 (Direct access to the CPU), and Sandboxie isn't allowing it, abstracting it, or emulating it's own CPU (I don't have much experience with Sandboxie). I would suggest that if you can't get it worked out, trying a virtual machine, as I know you can run OllyDBG in a VM quite well.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Re: Sandboxie and ollydbg

Post by UNSC_AI8085 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:10 am
([msg=64164]see Re: Sandboxie and ollydbg[/msg])

update

i run the installer outside the sandbox and i can debug the program using a sandboxed ollydbg

when i run the installer inside the sandbox, the application still works(inside sandbox) however i can no longer debug it with olldydbg from inside the sandbox. The program is fairly simple it does not require restart or anything.

But i think i will try a virtual machine, it should work more effectively
thanks
UNSC_AI8085
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to Programming