Roommate stole christmas present!

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Roommate stole christmas present!

Post by H0BB5 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:30 pm
([msg=63211]see Roommate stole christmas present![/msg])

Hey everyone, hopefully someone can help me here.
I'm across the country for university, and received my Christmas present yesterday in the mail from my parents. I was sent a delivery notification by DHL at 11:30
and when arriving home three of my roommates told me it was on the fireplace and reported seeing it up until an hour before I got home.
I live with 8 other roommates, I asked everyone in the house and they all claim to not know where it went, some more shocked than others.
This SUCKS because it was my only present from my family and it's really all i'm going to get for christmas, I can't bear the thought of lying to my mom on the phone about enjoying the gift and how great it is, but I can't tell her it got stolen..

Anyways, what I've decided to do is block internet access.
I have control over the router, it's a netgear WNDR3300.
I've logged on, I have the username/password for it, (it was admin/password) i've changed that.
and what i'm looking to do is cut off the access to pages.
Right now im able to cut off google, facebook, keywords etc..
But what i'd really like to do is figure out a way to forward whatever address they try to my website where a page will display the information about what is going on.

None of this illegal activity, listed in the forum rules nor is it illegal itself, it's just using some tech-knowledge to an advantage.
I will even let them return it anonymously, I don't care.
Anyways, I'm decent with computers as well as web design/programming.
So if anyone has any tips or can help me accomplish what I'm trying, please respond or email me!
Thanks
H0BB5
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Roommate stole christmas present!

Post by illusion_ on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:46 pm
([msg=63214]see Re: Roommate stole christmas present![/msg])

Firstly, I'm not sold that this isn't illegal, but I'll help anyhow.

Secondly, are you absolutely sure that one of your roommates stole it? Doing this is going to anger your roommates, even the ones that didn't take it. And, if it turns out that none of your roommates are guilty, you'll really look stupid.

Anyhow, I doubt that your router has the proper configuration options you're looking for. So, you'll probably have to set up your own box to act as a DHCP server and gateway (this can be the same box running the HTTP server). Google around and figure out how to set up a DHCP server, enable IP forwarding for routing, and how to redirect traffic. You might also get some help from this - http://www.ex-parrot.com/pete/upside-down-ternet.html
illusion_
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:30 am
([msg=63224]see Re: Roommate stole christmas present![/msg])

I'm still trying to figure out what a stolen gift has to do with blocking internet access. I also think its funny how you state it isn't illegal. Usually the law determines what is and isn't legal.. But meh. It was a touching story.
Try Googling around to see what having access over your router can do for you. A lot of things are router dependent.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:35 pm
([msg=63226]see Re: Roommate stole christmas present![/msg])

I don't think blocking internet access is going to work for very long. I only say this because internet service is probably included in their tuition or board. So, blocking it will only work until the ones who didn't steal it get pissed and bring it to authorities(administrators, IT department). Why don't you just tell your parents this way you know what it is you are looking for. It could be laying around opened and you wouldn't even know it.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Rijnzael on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:38 am
([msg=63561]see Re: Roommate stole christmas present![/msg])

If all roommates are connecting using equipment you own via wifi, you're probably in the clear to do this. Still, it's stupid. If one of your roommates stole it, that sucks, but it's not worth punishing your other roommates over. If it was truly stolen, you've now learned that you can't trust your packages to be delivered to your home, so it's time to get a PO box or equivalent.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:I don't think blocking internet access is going to work for very long. I only say this because internet service is probably included in their tuition or board.

Sounds like he's in a house to me. Most dorm rooms don't come with a fireplace.
Rijnzael
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:10 am
([msg=63566]see Re: Roommate stole christmas present![/msg])

Rijnzael wrote:If all roommates are connecting using equipment you own via wifi, you're probably in the clear to do this. Still, it's stupid. If one of your roommates stole it, that sucks, but it's not worth punishing your other roommates over. If it was truly stolen, you've now learned that you can't trust your packages to be delivered to your home, so it's time to get a PO box or equivalent.

LoGiCaL__ wrote:I don't think blocking internet access is going to work for very long. I only say this because internet service is probably included in their tuition or board.

Sounds like he's in a house to me. Most dorm rooms don't come with a fireplace.

I agree, the best option would be to get a PO box or something of the sort. Nice pick up by the way, I didn't realize it even though he stated the package was on the fire place. The idea still stands though. I'm sure cutting off internet access won't last long, as long as everyone is paying some form of rent/utilities. Anyways, this threads OP doesn't seem to be to concerned about it anymore so I'm going to lock it.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to Networking