Pinging a Minecraft server

What's the best way to setup a home network? Why should I care about BGP?

Pinging a Minecraft server

Post by 7ru57M3 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:04 pm
([msg=63415]see Pinging a Minecraft server[/msg])

So I have been trying to test connection to my friend's Minecraft Server through CLI, but the request times out everytime.

Even if you can't give me any pointers on how to make it work, could anyone help me find out why it doesn't work?

Thanks
7ru57M3
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Pinging a Minecraft server

Post by tremor77 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:59 pm
([msg=63416]see Re: Pinging a Minecraft server[/msg])

Minecraft Servers have no built-in Standard Ping Response as far as I know. You can still check if the port is open in many ways though... I would go about this in PHP using fsockopen. A little GOOGLE review should find you something.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DegreesKelvin on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:16 pm
([msg=63583]see Re: Pinging a Minecraft server[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:Minecraft Servers have no built-in Standard Ping Response as far as I know. You can still check if the port is open in many ways though... I would go about this in PHP using fsockopen. A little GOOGLE review should find you something.

In minecraft you have this list of servers with serverinfo next to them so I guess there should be a way to ping them, try googling a document about the minecraft protocol.
[14:33:02] <FlutterBurp> Dear princess celestia, i finally found out what Alt + F4 Does, i lost a important document thanks to you. Yours pissed off Twilight sparkle.
DegreesKelvin
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:03 am
([msg=63586]see Re: Pinging a Minecraft server[/msg])

DegreesKelvin wrote:
tremor77 wrote:Minecraft Servers have no built-in Standard Ping Response as far as I know. You can still check if the port is open in many ways though... I would go about this in PHP using fsockopen. A little GOOGLE review should find you something.

In minecraft you have this list of servers with serverinfo next to them so I guess there should be a way to ping them, try googling a document about the minecraft protocol.

I'm just thinking out loud now. What if you had had something running like wireshark and can see what is being sent and received. Just to mess around, you could do a nmap to your host pc and throw it into a text document. After that connect to the minecraft server, then run nmap again to the host pc, throw that into a .txt document. Compare them and see if any new ports have been opened.

-- Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:29 pm --

I had the wrong impression. Please disregard previous post.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:23 pm
([msg=63673]see Re: Pinging a Minecraft server[/msg])

Just a hunch, but wouldn't Minecraft servers disable ping requests? I mean, we all know the ping-of-death is well, no pun intended, but dead, but somebody might attempt it once again. It just seems like a logical precaucion to take, IMHO.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Networking