What do you believe in?

For discussing religion and related topics.

Re: What do you believe in?

Post by MDYarma on Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:21 am
([msg=59400]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

knownerror wrote:I am atheist because currently in our human situation it is the only logical way to think, no need to go and start assuming things. Sure you can keep your mind open but there isn't anything to fill that for what we know.

It may be me but I think the word for that is agnostic, not atheist. By atheism you assume and afirm there's no god, not even the slightest possibility for its existence.

Anyway... I think I go with agnostic for myself. And although I'm a man of sciences, I gotta say that sciences arén't the absolute truth, even if we're réal sure about something.... and everything looks coherent.... we máke it look coherent because mankind is not stupid and won't build knowledge on an evidently self-contradictory basis... but still those assumptions cannot be taken as the absolute truth. I mean, of course we should claim those "truths" with comfidence, but... you know, adding a "but shit happens" at the end.

and yeah... since all of this is a matter of faith I don't think anybody's gonna "win" this kind of fight ever..... but it's nice to see people's different points and views. I had a nice read with all those posts.
MDYarma
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by knownerror on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:14 pm
([msg=59408]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

MDYarma wrote:
knownerror wrote:I am atheist because currently in our human situation it is the only logical way to think, no need to go and start assuming things. Sure you can keep your mind open but there isn't anything to fill that for what we know.

It may be me but I think the word for that is agnostic, not atheist. By atheism you assume and afirm there's no god, not even the slightest possibility for its existence.

Anyway... I think I go with agnostic for myself. And although I'm a man of sciences, I gotta say that sciences arén't the absolute truth, even if we're réal sure about something.... and everything looks coherent.... we máke it look coherent because mankind is not stupid and won't build knowledge on an evidently self-contradictory basis... but still those assumptions cannot be taken as the absolute truth. I mean, of course we should claim those "truths" with comfidence, but... you know, adding a "but shit happens" at the end.

and yeah... since all of this is a matter of faith I don't think anybody's gonna "win" this kind of fight ever..... but it's nice to see people's different points and views. I had a nice read with all those posts.

What I was trying to say is that I believe that there is no god, BUT if one day thats proven wrong im not going to act religious and never believe it.
knownerror
New User
New User

Post by nerdprodg on Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:43 pm
([msg=59411]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

What I was trying to say is that I believe that there is no god, BUT if one day thats proven wrong im not going to act religious and never believe it.

Whoah, really?? Even if its proven that God exists, hell and heaven too?? U still wont act religious??? I think it would depend on the type of proof too.. I shiver to think what will happen after death... If u believe in the concept of souls, what will happen to it, if not, what happens to our conciousness..

If afterlife exists and there's only 1 true religion, ur fate might be
If ur a bad atheist, u will be damned, if ur an atheist who tries to seek for the truth but did not find it, it depends on God's mercy.., and if ur a believer of a wrong religion, u might be damned(this depends on which religion is the right one) and if ur a believer of the right religion who doesnt act upon ur beliefs, u will be damned too, if u r a righteous believer of the right religion, congrats...

If afterlife doesnt exists
Well, even if the atheists are right, they'd have no chance of celebrating coz, u know, they're dead.. I know they might have lived a happier life(i dont really have any statistical source for this, but this I assume coz thats what atheists claim) and the believers who worshipped may have been in vain(but all the good deeds like helping ppl, fight for freedom etc wont be in vain, coz it benefited someone.. This is pretty much boring coz everyone's gonna end the same way, and if this is true, then only the life in this world would matter, gay rights should be preserved, no capital punishment so that people can have longer years of conciousness despite suffering, yada yada yada

There are other possible outcomes such as, the next life exist, just to be something similar like this life, the afterlife exist, but God is extremely tolerant etc etc...

Heh, quite long... Anyways, what I wrote doesnt represent my own personal beliefs, it is just a mere speculations setting aside whatever I believe in..
nerdprodg
New User
New User

Post by knownerror on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:27 pm
([msg=59418]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

I was mentioning how religious people act, they won't believe the truth even if it is in their face. Im saying there is no proof that religion is true so you cross that out and atheism is the only closest thing to fact.
knownerror
New User
New User

Post by m0x on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:30 am
([msg=62713]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Everything is emptiness and nothing really exists in the big picture. We don't have souls.
m0x
New User
New User

Post by solinvictusbc on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:17 pm
([msg=63346]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

I believe in the Bible.

I also hold to the cause and effect argument, prime mover argument, and therefore assert that Either the agnostic idea that the prime mover can not be known, or that the only religions possibly correct are ones that hold to an all powerful prime mover
solinvictusbc
New User
New User

Post by xhello on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:48 pm
([msg=63975]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

Nothing. No after life, no souls, no eternal damnation, nothing happens after you die except that you cease to exist.
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
xhello
New User
New User

Post by tph23 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:28 pm
([msg=64062]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

I'll put my two cents in this. I guess I take the agnostic approach. If a deity can come from nothing, then why can't a universe? Then you have evolution and carbon dating, which show the world to be a lot older than most religious texts state it to be. But religion says it can't be proven or disproven by science; and religion and science have not always fared well together. I feel agnosticism keeps an open mind to situations, and I find interest in the different beliefs people have. Religion and science both fascinate me, though.
tph23
New User
New User

Post by pretentious on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:43 am
([msg=64064]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

I'll throw in my two cents too. I've had an interest in psychology in recent months and Freud has had my interests throughout. The reason why he isn't taken too seriously any more is because a lot of his theories are unscientific, in the sense that you can't really put the claims to a falsifiable test(which is kind of the basis of scientific method). Religion also fits this category. It's place is in historical reference, nothing more.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by C4_feathers on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 pm
([msg=80484]see Re: What do you believe in?[/msg])

I AM A MUSLIM =D
I believe in Qur'an .....
C4_feathers
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Religion