i got ubuntu

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Re: i got ubuntu

Post by NEW_TWO_HACKING on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:11 pm
([msg=63272]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

my first priority was finding good apps or software for ubuntu, and then find out about aircrack so there for the above wee steering off my first priority

and anything you have on ubuntu and are a fan of please recommend it to me
basically i just want to know some good software for tweaking or modding ubuntu
but im open for suggestions if anyone knows any other good apps/software
NEW_TWO_HACKING
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:20 pm
([msg=63273]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

edone automaton wrote: In the case of the OP its skiddish, if you cant work out if your card is supported and what to do about it, you need to read up more, im not dissing you, everybody has to learn....

Yeah that's why i posted a link a few posts back in this topic about promiscuous mode. If the wireless card doesn't have it he's pretty much beat. I would first look into seeing if the card has that and then work from there.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by edone automaton on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:28 pm
([msg=63274]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

If you go on to the ubuntu forums I believe there is at least one section dedicated to this, people even put together packages you can download in one go with alternative media apps and such, but honestly, there is so much stuff out there it really does depend on your interests.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/ is worth looking at to make things comfortable for yourself.
There are a thousand variations on this kicking around that might be of use to you.

Then look into themes and stuff just to make it look nice.

really though, Use the software center (i think its called that) and just install stuff that looks interesting to you, if you dont like it get rid of it. Its all free after all ;)
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by NEW_TWO_HACKING on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:33 pm
([msg=63275]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

thanks bro
NEW_TWO_HACKING
New User
New User

Post by edone automaton on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:42 pm
([msg=63276]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Yeah that's why i posted a link a few posts back in this topic about promiscuous mode. If the wireless card doesn't have it he's pretty much beat. I would first look into seeing if the card has that and then work from there.

I once came across a really good FAQ type thing about this but I just had a quick look and I cant find it. I will put more effort into it later and post if I find it, I remember it cleared some stuff up for me and was nice and easy to follow.
For now though, this might be worth reading for OP: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id= ... c5a7d68ab0
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:22 pm
([msg=63277]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

Just found a list of some tools for linux that you might find useful to research.

http://wirelessdefence.org/Contents/WirelessLinuxTools.htm
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by n0l1m17z on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:43 pm
([msg=63837]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
NEW_TWO_HACKING wrote:i currently am reading the book 'the webapplication hackers handbook: discovering and exploting secruity flaws'
and someone suggested getting ubuntu did i make the right decision?
is their anything ubuntu has to offer to help with 'discovering and exploiting security flaws'?

While Ubuntu is a great OS, it has no advantage at hacking over another OS like Windows, or even Mac OSX.

Wait.. what? Ubuntu has no advantages over windows in regards of hacking? That certainly depends on what you wish to accomplish. OP mentioned wifi-hacking, and you yourself gave a nod to airckrack-ng for that purpose. Afaik winblows won't put your network-card in monitor-mode just like that, it take some serious workaround - so if you wanna sniff for a handshake you'd do it in OSX or linux any day. They are different systems entirely, and while windows and even mac have their strong sides, (like windows having a lot of GUI-tools available for automated tasks) saying they're equally good seems.. lazy.
n0l1m17z
New User
New User

Post by MNP_Hikaru on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:29 pm
([msg=63842]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

n0l1m17z wrote:
centip3de wrote:
NEW_TWO_HACKING wrote:i currently am reading the book 'the webapplication hackers handbook: discovering and exploting secruity flaws'
and someone suggested getting ubuntu did i make the right decision?
is their anything ubuntu has to offer to help with 'discovering and exploiting security flaws'?

While Ubuntu is a great OS, it has no advantage at hacking over another OS like Windows, or even Mac OSX.

Wait.. what? Ubuntu has no advantages over windows in regards of hacking? That certainly depends on what you wish to accomplish. OP mentioned wifi-hacking, and you yourself gave a nod to airckrack-ng for that purpose. Afaik winblows won't put your network-card in monitor-mode just like that, it take some serious workaround - so if you wanna sniff for a handshake you'd do it in OSX or linux any day. They are different systems entirely, and while windows and even mac have their strong sides, (like windows having a lot of GUI-tools available for automated tasks) saying they're equally good seems.. lazy.

I think that saying they were equal was more in an effort to say that Ubuntu doesn't have magical all powerful hacker tools or advantages over another OS. Open source is generally better, but it is important to remember that it's only better if you have the knowledge to work with it. Just like how Ubuntu will have some good software/add-ons/applications/whatever, but they will only be worth anything if you know what you're doing and apply them to tasks correctly. Neh?
One of these days there's gonna be a real profound quote down here.
MNP_Hikaru
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Nettles on Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:25 pm
([msg=65443]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

Honestly N_T_H, I can't tell if you're being sincere or if you're just trolling. I think you should definitely learn about your hardware as well as your software. Try Backtrack. I also recommend you learn what the tools actually do, as in what commands are going through when you click a button. You should definitely research Shell commands too...
Nettles
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:53 pm
([msg=65445]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

Nettles wrote:Honestly N_T_H, I can't tell if you're being sincere or if you're just trolling. I think you should definitely learn about your hardware as well as your software. Try Backtrack. I also recommend you learn what the tools actually do, as in what commands are going through when you click a button. You should definitely research Shell commands too...

Once again, another instance of you replying to a thread that is long dead. Please. Don't. Necro.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Previous

Return to *nix