i got ubuntu

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

i got ubuntu

Post by NEW_TWO_HACKING on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:58 pm
([msg=63256]see i got ubuntu[/msg])

hey guys,
i got ubuntu on my laptop do you guys have any recommendations of what i should get first..
i heard you can hack wifion ubuntu aswell is this true..
thanks guys..
NEW_TWO_HACKING
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: i got ubuntu

Post by illusion_ on Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:24 pm
([msg=63257]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

NEW_TO_HACKING wrote:i got ubuntu on my laptop do you guys have any recommendations of what i should get first..

I assume you're asking what software you should install. It greatly depends on what you want to accomplish with your computer.

NEW_TO_HACKING wrote:i heard you can hack wifion ubuntu aswell is this true..

It depends on your wireless card. Look into Aircrack-ng. (There's probably a pre-made Ubuntu package)
illusion_
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:50 pm
([msg=63261]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

illusion_ wrote:
NEW_TO_HACKING wrote:<br>i got ubuntu on my laptop do you guys have any recommendations of what i should get first..<br>
<br>I assume you're asking what software you should install. It greatly depends on what you want to accomplish with your computer.<br><br>
NEW_TO_HACKING wrote:<br>i heard you can hack wifion ubuntu aswell is this true..<br>
<br>It depends on your wireless card. Look into Aircrack-ng. (There's probably a pre-made Ubuntu package)

^ Yup.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:57 am
([msg=63262]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by NEW_TWO_HACKING on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:51 pm
([msg=63264]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

i currently am reading the book 'the webapplication hackers handbook: discovering and exploting secruity flaws'
and someone suggested getting ubuntu did i make the right decision?
is their anything ubuntu has to offer to help with 'discovering and exploiting security flaws'?

i have aircrack for my windows laptop but i have trouble with the wireless card(i dont know how to get, install, or even what one is...) so if you could help me out with that it would be great
NEW_TWO_HACKING
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:16 pm
([msg=63266]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

NEW_TWO_HACKING wrote:i currently am reading the book 'the webapplication hackers handbook: discovering and exploting secruity flaws'
and someone suggested getting ubuntu did i make the right decision?
is their anything ubuntu has to offer to help with 'discovering and exploiting security flaws'?

While Ubuntu is a great OS, it has no advantage at hacking over another OS like Windows, or even Mac OSX.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by NEW_TWO_HACKING on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:26 pm
([msg=63267]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

i thought it was better becuz its opensource
NEW_TWO_HACKING
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:32 pm
([msg=63268]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

If you're looking for a OS with an advantage to find security flaws you may want to check into bactrack 5. However, it is kinda skiddish. From a professional point of view it would be handy, just because a lot of tools are all readily available and if speed is of the essence it would prove to be a good tool.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by NEW_TWO_HACKING on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:43 pm
([msg=63270]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

were drifting from my original Q's
which was do you know any good software or apps
illegal or not which are good or fun to play with on ubuntu
NEW_TWO_HACKING
New User
New User

Post by edone automaton on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:04 pm
([msg=63271]see Re: i got ubuntu[/msg])

NEW_TWO_HACKING wrote:were drifting from my original Q's

Not really, all of the above responses answer your questions about cracking stuff, and the magical properties of ubuntu.

NEW_TWO_HACKING wrote:do you know any good software or apps
illegal or not which are good or fun to play with on ubuntu

I know lots of good software which is fun to play with but as someone already asked- what do you want to do? make cartoons? work out the molarity of chemicals? balance your checkbook? oh yeah, hack wifi.....

Also, something being open source does not make it better, in a technological sense at least, it just means that the source code is available to everyone and is generally free to use.

LoGiCaL_ wrote:you may want to check into bactrack 5. However, it is kinda skiddish.

Man, I dunno, its just some tools collected in one place. The general rules apply, if you're doing it without knowing how and why, its skiddish.
In the case of the OP its skiddish, if you cant work out if your card is supported and what to do about it, you need to read up more, im not dissing you, everybody has to learn....
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to *nix