Question.

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

Question.

Post by 74UN7 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:14 pm
([msg=63182]see Question.[/msg])

So i got a shifty call from someone looking for a lawyers office from someone about 4 hours south of my current location. I didnt answer it the first few times (Came into my cell as restricted and I don't answer those calls). So i called back the number after he left 2 voicemails asking me to call him back it was important, he kept me on the phone asking questions (replied very vaguely, no personal information) for 51 seconds total (picked up the phone before the first ring stopped). Anyway... As soon as the calls started, (after I thought about it) checked my logs and I was getting connection attempts from 3 separate locations one in Cali one from Washington and the other from somewhere in Texas i believe.

Now, I havent ever done anything illegal, I'm not affiliated with any illegal parties or any sort like that, I do however, browse some of the articles from anonymous and occasionally read hackthiszine. Mostly because I'll be taking networking security classes next semester.

Should I be worried?...
Thanks in advance, I'm kind of paranoid with the stuff I read anyway I'd just kinda like to get back to my homework on a good note so I can focus...
74UN7
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Question.

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:28 pm
([msg=63184]see Re: Question.[/msg])

74UN7 wrote:So i got a shifty call from someone looking for a lawyers office from someone about 4 hours south of my current location. I didnt answer it the first few times (Came into my cell as restricted and I don't answer those calls). So i called back the number after he left 2 voicemails asking me to call him back it was important, he kept me on the phone asking questions (replied very vaguely, no personal information) for 51 seconds total (picked up the phone before the first ring stopped). Anyway... As soon as the calls started, (after I thought about it) checked my logs and I was getting connection attempts from 3 separate locations one in Cali one from Washington and the other from somewhere in Texas i believe.

Now, I havent ever done anything illegal, I'm not affiliated with any illegal parties or any sort like that, I do however, browse some of the articles from anonymous and occasionally read hackthiszine. Mostly because I'll be taking networking security classes next semester.

Should I be worried?...
Thanks in advance, I'm kind of paranoid with the stuff I read anyway I'd just kinda like to get back to my homework on a good note so I can focus...

I wouldn't be too worried, but I would definitely monitor the situation. You did the right thing by checking the logs and realizing the 3 connections at once, which does seem a little suspect. If anything just monitor the bill and if it does start to weigh on your mind, just call up customer service and say the story you just said, minus the anonymous, hackthiszine, network security part, just because you don't know how some people will react to that. Especially businesses.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Question.

Post by mShred on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:06 pm
([msg=63196]see Re: Question.[/msg])

Perhaps your guy was just a brilliant social engineer? A master of elicitation. But that's doubtful. I wouldn't be too worried of it. Like LoGiCaL__ said, just monitor the situation.
What exactly was he asking?

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Telecommunications