a longterm plan

Discuss how to write good code, break bad code, your current pet projects, or the best way to approach novel problems

a longterm plan

Post by infogverrilla on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:32 pm
([msg=631]see a longterm plan[/msg])

Greatings!

I'm willing to become a hacktivist,and that's why this interest on programming has emerged.
I have some experience with primitive language EUO (for www.easyuo.com software),and that's all.
What kind of stuff should I find to read?
What language is the best to start with?

Cheers
infogverrilla
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: a longterm plan

Post by weekend hacker on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:21 am
([msg=713]see Re: a longterm plan[/msg])

I'd sugest C++ and PHP (along with anything that goes with it like XHTML CSS etc), once you master those 2 you'll have no problem learning other languages.
And ofcourse the first step to exploiting code on websites or anyware else is understanding the code.

If you want to earn money with programming you could also learn Java and .NET. For some reason companies are hot for those languages. But at the same time they would rather teach a noob to code then unteach bad practises
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Inferno96 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:08 pm
([msg=761]see Re: a longterm plan[/msg])

They are "hot" for those languages because they are extremely powerful and can produce programs quickly(C# with VS 9.0).
Inferno96
New User
New User

Post by BhaaL on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:47 am
([msg=782]see Re: a longterm plan[/msg])

Inferno96 wrote:They are "hot" for those languages because they are extremely powerful and can produce programs quickly(C# with VS 9.0).

Not only that. Old and proprietary pieces of code (Cobol, PL/1, insert-stoneage-language-here) which weren't really up to run on nowadays systems (because bound to 16-bit systems/compilers etc) are already ported to compile into .NET MSIL code, which can be run on virtually any environment (Windows with the traditional Framework, *NIX/MacOSX and others with Mono, even Watches and Toasters using the MicroFramework).
Large companies which are bound to use that/want to continue using it due to compatibility with legacy systems/monetary reasons for re-writing the app from scratch in a "new" language are likely to use that instead, because most of the work is already done (I've seen for example .NET compilers for PowerBuilder and Cobol somewhere), and doesn't take that much time to actually recompile it.

The big advantage of .NET over Java is also its JIT Compiling strategy that compiles MSIL code once it is accessed, and keeps it compiled - which is quite a good performance improvement where the Java VM interprets Bytecode rather than compiling it into native code.
The only drawback I see is the easy reversibility of .NET (and also Java) code; Load up Reflector, and you're good to go with the full source. Obfuscation may make it harder, but compared to native ASM reverse engineering, it's still the faster approach there.

infogverrilla: weekend's idea is probably the best way to go, altho I'd suggest to start with PHP. C++ looks similar, but introduces a more strict ruleset then PHP (typed variables/type safety, serious OOP, overall more control of what your code actually does). Once you got into it, move on to C++.
BhaaL
Poster
Poster

Post by infogverrilla on Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:08 pm
([msg=978]see Re: a longterm plan[/msg])

well
i'm very thankful for the answers,and I will try and learn some php
where are the best online tutorials/guides/fre-e-books?
cheers
infogverrilla
New User
New User

Post by lolobip on Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:35 am
([msg=1083]see Re: a longterm plan[/msg])

You could start off from here :
http://www.newbiesparadise.com/tutorial ... g-php.html

The guides there are pretty much detailed and fun to read :)
lolobip
New User
New User

Return to Programming