Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?

Got something to share about your favorite games? Strategies? Game codes? Discuss gaming topics here!

Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?

Post by edone automaton on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:42 am
([msg=63012]see Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

I just played through MW3 and it pretty much summed up for me what the single player modes of the big budget games have become, rubbish. Nothing innovative, far too many cut scenes, predictable AI, not particularly difficult to beat, even on veteran.... and so on....

It seems that its all about the online multiplayer, which is fine, I like shooting ten year olds from other countries as much as the next guy and, if I'm honest I will most likely only play through a campaign mission maybe twice, but that doesn't mean it has to be shit does it?

What are your opinions? do you just accept that we are being blatantly steered toward the multiplayer so they can rape us for $£$ in 'extra' content and such, or do you miss a decent single player campaign?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:27 am
([msg=63013]see Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

edone automaton wrote:I just played through MW3 and it pretty much summed up for me what the single player modes of the big budget games have become, rubbish. Nothing innovative, far too many cut scenes, predictable AI, not particularly difficult to beat, even on veteran.... and so on....

It seems that its all about the online multiplayer, which is fine, I like shooting ten year olds from other countries as much as the next guy and, if I'm honest I will most likely only play through a campaign mission maybe twice, but that doesn't mean it has to be shit does it?

What are your opinions? do you just accept that we are being blatantly steered toward the multiplayer so they can rape us for $£$ in 'extra' content and such, or do you miss a decent single player campaign?

That's what gaming has become. Unless you get a game that has no multi-player included in it. Surprisingly BF3 has a decent campaign mode despite what I thought about them putting all their efforts into the online portion of the game. Really though, most games that come out now are online and the big headliner games sometimes have 2 different companies work on each part of the game. Thus you experience two completely and sometimes "rubbish" game modes.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by Miner49er on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:32 pm
([msg=63015]see Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

I read this a few days ago.
http://m.ign.com/articles/1212379
Miner49er
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:36 pm
([msg=63022]see Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

inb4 someone else says it: Skyrim.

Anyway, I think game designers put their effort into what the players are looking for. In a game like MW3 it is defined by multiplayer. It really is a multiplayer platform, and I think any single player campaign for the game is bonus material for when your internet is out.

There are plenty of games with good reviews and high sales out that have far weaker multiplayer, but are far more immersive with their campaign modes.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edone automaton on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:19 am
([msg=63036]see Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

Miner49er wrote:I read this a few days ago.
http://m.ign.com/articles/1212379

That more or less sums up my feelings but I wouldn't go so far as to say that all FPS are rubbish (see tremors skyrim comment) just the ones that have come to play second fiddle to the multiplayer.

tremor77 wrote:Anyway, I think game designers put their effort into what the players are looking for. In a game like MW3 it is defined by multiplayer. It really is a multiplayer platform, and I think any single player campaign for the game is bonus material for when your internet is out.

For sure, but why bother? I say either make a decent campaign or scrap it all together and have Black ops style combat training or zombies for when internet is out, that way they could include all the maps with the initial release, unlikely to happen I know....
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:59 pm
([msg=63063]see Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

For sure, but why bother? I say either make a decent campaign or scrap it all together and have Black ops style combat training or zombies for when internet is out, that way they could include all the maps with the initial release, unlikely to happen I know....

I'm going to guess that it's probably just the gaming development tradition... they are just afraid to break from the longstanding common mold of - this is how the game is built and that is how we will always have to release it -
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tgoe on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:15 pm
([msg=63085]see Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

It's easy and cheap to produce an interactive movie alongside multi-player. Back in the day, FPS's were made in a time when connectivity wasn't a given. All the challenge has disappeared from single-player mode since then. From the developer's perspective, it's much easier challenging a user by pitting them against another user than it is by writing AI that lives in a complicated environment.

http://i39.tinypic.com/oa9q4w.png

But this is a good thing, IMO. The heart of FPS is competition.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by brainiac3397 on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:37 am
([msg=67401]see Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

Only "campaign" modes i care for are in RPGs and Strategy games, since they seem to be more entertaining. Playing against AI in FPS games is pretty easy(though some games have smarter AI, but such are few and far apart).

Campaign modes should be like movies(to some extent). Most of what we see are pretty cliched and just overused, others are outright terrible(in such case, you just hop to multiplayer immediately) but there are few unique ones that keep you entertained during a black-out(let's just say you managed to hypothetically get your hands on a nuclear generator for private use...but your cable/satellite/dial-up failed). Call of Duty and Battlefield seem to be one of the few leading game series that rely on their multiplayer(often, people just avoid playing single-player at all).
brainiac3397
New User
New User

Post by d3volution on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:31 pm
([msg=67434]see Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

I tend to think of the campaign modes in games (mainly CoD) as extended introductions to the multiplayer stuff. I'm still of the opinion that Final Fantasy VII is the only game I've ever really felt immersed in.
d3volution
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:06 pm
([msg=67507]see Re: Does anyone care about Campaign modes anymore?[/msg])

I was so sure I posted on this when it was initially made. But I play games for campaign, rather than multiplayer. Which is why I love, and I fucking mean love, Skyrim. But to me, multiplayer that too many people take way too seriously.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Next

Return to Gaming