linux or windows

There are many different operating systems; which one will you choose?

linux or windows

Post by NEW_TWO_HACKING on Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:02 pm
([msg=62970]see linux or windows[/msg])

im getting a new laptop soon and was wondering which of these i should put on it
please suggest why you think so
thanks
NEW_TWO_HACKING
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: linux or windows

Post by centip3de on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:08 pm
([msg=62982]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

NEW_TWO_HACKING wrote:im getting a new laptop soon and was wondering which of these i should put on it
please suggest why you think so
thanks

It depends, what are going to use it for?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by NEW_TWO_HACKING on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:12 pm
([msg=62983]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

i wanna have a fast computer which i heard ubuntu is good
overall i heard ubuntu is best for most things do you agree?...
what do you use?
NEW_TWO_HACKING
New User
New User

Post by knownerror on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:38 pm
([msg=62985]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

Do you plan on gaming? If so Windows is the better option.
knownerror
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:31 pm
([msg=62986]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

There's always the option to dual boot. You can have both windows and linux on the same pc. As far as speed of the laptop is concerned, I would look more into the hardware than the OS you are going to be running on it.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by mShred on Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:18 pm
([msg=62987]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

knownerror wrote:Do you plan on gaming? If so Windows is the better option.

Yeah not really. A lot of people have linux boxes for their gaming rigs.
LoGiCaL__ wrote:There's always the option to dual boot. You can have both windows and linux on the same pc. As far as speed of the laptop is concerned, I would look more into the hardware than the OS you are going to be running on it.

This.
Why not explain to us what exactly you're going to use the computer for? That would help a bit.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by centip3de on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:08 pm
([msg=62988]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:There's always the option to dual boot. You can have both windows and linux on the same pc. As far as speed of the laptop is concerned, I would look more into the hardware than the OS you are going to be running on it.

True... But there's something to be said about Linux reviving a '98 DELL..
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:17 pm
([msg=62992]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

To keep it short and simple. Windows is better for GUI, linux is a better CLI. Know both, or I should say learn both. If you get a pc that can handle windows 7, run win7 on that. If you have an old one, install linux...text mode only. That would be my advice.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:41 am
([msg=62996]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:To keep it short and simple. Windows is better for GUI, linux is a better CLI. Know both, or I should say learn both. If you get a pc that can handle windows 7, run win7 on that. If you have an old one, install linux...text mode only. That would be my advice.

Oh man... I could debate what you just said, allllllllll day. But, I think I might confuse the OP, so I shall keep my arguments to myself.
centip3de

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:03 am
([msg=62998]see Re: linux or windows[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
LoGiCaL__ wrote:To keep it short and simple. Windows is better for GUI, linux is a better CLI. Know both, or I should say learn both. If you get a pc that can handle windows 7, run win7 on that. If you have an old one, install linux...text mode only. That would be my advice.

Oh man... I could debate what you just said, allllllllll day. But, I think I might confuse the OP, so I shall keep my arguments to myself.

Well, the OP was looking for reasons to pick one or the other. So, as long as the debate goes along that track, I don't see why it would confuse the OP. Anyways, I'll explain my reasoning. I use win7 on the best pc I have, hardware wise. While I do some development on Windows, I find Linux to be better suited for it. Personally, I don't find a need at all to have a gui in linux(Debian 6), which is why I recommended text-mode only(if your using it for the first time you may not want that). I have a dev server I use and just ssh into it from my windows machine.

Windows I've always used. Linux I've used for the past few years but no where near as long as windows. I do find terminal to be more useful than windows command line and powershell.

To the OP. Try both, boot a live cd of ubuntu before installing it and see if you'll even like it in the first place.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Next

Return to Operating Systems