What is truth?

What is the nature of existence?

Re: What is truth?

Post by zzuty77 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:24 am
([msg=51716]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

The truth can never be changed but the truth can change you.
zzuty77
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Goatboy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:34 am
([msg=51717]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

zzuty77 wrote:The truth can never be changed but the truth can change you.

Hippie.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by zzuty77 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:41 am
([msg=51719]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

Nah bro I'm no hippie I just don't like to live in a bubble,what I'm saying is nobody can tell you and if they could it would almost become pointless.Because you know as much as I do that we all believe what we want and that includes our own thoughts our intellect,feelings and what is visible to us.
So is truth seen,felt or touched or is it what we hear and blindly think we know?
zzuty77
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm
([msg=51772]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

zzuty77 wrote:Nah bro I'm no hippie I just don't like to live in a bubble,what I'm saying is nobody can tell you and if they could it would almost become pointless.Because you know as much as I do that we all believe what we want and that includes our own thoughts our intellect,feelings and what is visible to us.
So is truth seen,felt or touched or is it what we hear and blindly think we know?

In the words of a wise old man:

Goatboy wrote:Go back to the café and order another espresso choco mocha double triple latte with a half-twist shot of caramel and non-mainstream whipped cream. Fucking hippies.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by insomaniacal on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:26 pm
([msg=51800]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

zzuty77 wrote:Nah bro I'm no hippie I just don't like to live in a bubble,what I'm saying is nobody can tell you and if they could it would almost become pointless.Because you know as much as I do that we all believe what we want and that includes our own thoughts our intellect,feelings and what is visible to us.

Some structure in that paragraph wouldn't hurt, ya know?

We all believe what we want? Not really. I really want to believe I have a pocket full of cash, but if utilize my eyesight and then apply my brainpower I can deduce I am in fact, broke.

If you mean we only believe what we want on a social/intellectual level, you'll have to be more specific. For example do you mean:

Book X says that B is true. Therefore it is true. However you don't know it's true, you just believe it's true because it's in a book.

In this case, technically you're right. You can't be 100% sure until you prove it for yourself. But, just like a calculator will round .000000000000000000001 to 0, you can throw out the tiny amount of doubt that is inherent.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Kwing on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:21 pm
([msg=52719]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

There's no such thing as truth or reality. We live in a world where we exist as individuals, hence we can only understand what we experience, or something told to us which we can simulate using our experience as a reference point. Thus, perception is all that exists. Our minds can shape our surroundings, but those surroundings are subjective to what others believe. Truth is what the majority of people believe, unless you wrench yourself free of it, at which point there is no such thing as truth, though to wrench yourself away from it shows a deviance which creates a gradient of truth and deceit, even if there's no definitive black and white.
Kwing
New User
New User

Post by Goatboy on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:56 pm
([msg=52727]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

Kwing wrote:There's no such thing as truth or reality. We live in a world where we exist as individuals, hence we can only understand what we experience, or something told to us which we can simulate using our experience as a reference point. Thus, perception is all that exists. Our minds can shape our surroundings, but those surroundings are subjective to what others believe. Truth is what the majority of people believe, unless you wrench yourself free of it, at which point there is no such thing as truth, though to wrench yourself away from it shows a deviance which creates a gradient of truth and deceit, even if there's no definitive black and white.

Read my previous rant about posts like this.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Dean86 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:38 am
([msg=62833]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

Truth is that which can be logically proven to be correct. Or, in other words, you could think whatever you want about the gun in front of your head, but the truth is, if the trigger is pulled, the bullet will pierce your skull and probably kill you. That is, if the gun works properly, of course.
Dean86
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:49 pm
([msg=62851]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

Dean86 wrote:Truth is that which can be logically proven to be correct. Or, in other words, you could think whatever you want about the gun in front of your head, but the truth is, if the trigger is pulled, the bullet will pierce your skull and probably kill you. That is, if the gun works properly, of course.

Don't necro old threads, please.

Also, I can logically prove that 1 does not equal 1. So does that mean that 1 is a lie?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mShred on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 am
([msg=62856]see Re: What is truth?[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Don't necro old threads, please.

Debate threads like these don't really matter. Might as well leave them open, for debate.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

PreviousNext

Return to General