What is "Choice"

What is the nature of existence?

Re: What is "Choice"

Post by ToMegaTherion on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:40 am
([msg=54590]see Re: What is "Choice"[/msg])

"Choice" depend upon your perception of time/space, and weather or not you believe the future is fated.

I am in deep thought over this exact question, since i have a university assignment on a similar topic... ie
What is time, does only the her and now exist or is the past as real as the present, and if so is the future also real.

If the future is real then is it fated and set like the past? Why/Why not?

Does a cause have to occur before an event? Why/Why not?
ToMegaTherion
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by NKVD on Sun May 01, 2011 6:52 am
([msg=56861]see Re: What is "Choice"[/msg])

I think this question is implying more on religious grounds, on either are we in control of our destinies or there is a higher force above us that makes the decisions for us? The answer will vary greatly on how one seems there views of a higher being or even if you do believe in one.
NKVD
New User
New User

Post by Dean86 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:26 am
([msg=62832]see Re: What is "Choice"[/msg])

I believe I solved this very philosophical question a few years ago.

Everything is caused to occur exactly the way it occurs. Nothing is without cause (or causes). This is an absolute truth, so you can't get away from it. Therefore, there is no freedom of choice. Everything is determined to follow a certain path, so to speak, and it all happens the way it's supposed to happen. For instance, if you're playing pool and you hit a ball into a pocket (or whatever you call it), did the ball choose to go into that pocket? Of course not. We have as much choice as that ball had. Granted, we are more complex than that, but everything is caused and happens the way it's supposed to happen. Even a thought is caused. What we think is caused, what we do is caused, etc. It's all caused.

So how can there be choice when the past determines the present and the present determines the future? I don't see any other way to think of it.
Dean86
New User
New User

Post by ghost107 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 am
([msg=62836]see Re: What is "Choice"[/msg])

Hard to answer but i think this documentary from Discovery Communications may help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Wormhole

But what i think, is related to the string theory (the multivverse part).
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:17 pm
([msg=62846]see Re: What is "Choice"[/msg])

Dean86 wrote:I believe I solved this very philosophical question a few years ago.

Everything is caused to occur exactly the way it occurs. Nothing is without cause (or causes). This is an absolute truth, so you can't get away from it.

Wait, hold up now. I just read your other post on what is truth, and how you explained truth to be nothing more than a perception. How it's not real, you just have to believe truth can be real to believe something is truth. Now you're saying that whatever YOUR OWN OPINION is, is an "absolute truth"? Well.. that, doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I literally stopped reading the rest of your post, just so I could post this rebuttal to both of your flawed reasonings.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Previous

Return to General