Arch Linux

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Arch Linux

Post by Veos on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:41 pm
([msg=62451]see Arch Linux[/msg])

Hey guys,

I've been reading up abit about Arch Linux but would want to get a opinion of someone who uses this OS.

Is there anyone here who runs it as a primary OS im currently on Ubuntu, would you guys sugest that I didnt move to Arch?
What are in your opinion the pros and cons of Arch?

Thanks in Advance :)
Veos
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Arch Linux

Post by VPR3 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:45 pm
([msg=62455]see Re: Arch Linux[/msg])

Arch is a fine system, much deeper than ubuntu, but you can build it however you like. Con: If you don't like working with the command line Arch might not be for you.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:11 pm
([msg=62460]see Re: Arch Linux[/msg])

This is a good question. I know my way around an Arch box pretty well. I love it, but that doesn't mean its for everyone.. Like VPR3 said, you may not like it if you're not familiar with a terminal. A fresh installation of Arch is completely bare. There is no deskop environment installed, which is a huge turnoff for beginners. You will have to do a lot, I mean a lot. Its frustrating at times. And just a pain in the ass. But it will teach you a lot. You'll be referencing Google a lot, troubleshooting a lot, and furiously throwing your mouse a lot. But if you're really dedicated, you'll learn a lot. Also, its completely customizable. You like something? Install it, configure it. You don't like something? Don't install it.
My advice, install it next to Ubuntu. That way you have both. Give it maybe 60ish gigs for you to mess around with. But if you've never partitioned a disk with terminal tools, you may need a tutoria ready so you don't mess everything up. After its installed, just mess around a bit.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Veos on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:54 am
([msg=62466]see Re: Arch Linux[/msg])

As I am reading this im downloading the package and a virtuale enviroment :)

Edit:
Basicaly I have decided to switch OS I want to learn a new one, I've narrowed it down to FreeBSD or Arch Linux.

Which one of these would you recomend?
Obvioulsy I would like to still do the casualy lets surf the net, stream video/audio and download torrents. plus which ever one would help me get better. and be more usefull for 'Hacking' :D
Veos
New User
New User

Post by mShred on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:39 am
([msg=62469]see Re: Arch Linux[/msg])

Well.. Id probably go with both. That way you broaden your horizon. Keep in mind that with any nix OS, you'll be able to install your music applications, or your web browsers, or you torrent managers or whatever. But that's just it, you've got to download, install and maybe configure it.
Also, freeBSD is a little different than a lot of standard Linux OSs, that being in that its BSD. Keep that in mind.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Veos on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:51 am
([msg=62491]see Re: Arch Linux[/msg])

In the end I have gone Arch Linux, infact im using it right now to post this.

Now all I need to do is work on the desktop more, tis tricky and fun at the same time.

Edit:
Im really enjoying this OS but very true on the OMG!! whats up with that? how do I get a default file manager to stick! Why is my pypanel not autoloading when I swear the told me to put it into the .xinitrc file? am I use the wrong syntax.

gotta say I'm kinda loving openbox WM. Think I'm gonna be working on this task for a while haha, will get back to doing the HTS missions abit laterz :)
Veos
New User
New User

Return to *nix