Getting the most performance out of Centos6

Discuss the security implications of the various flavors of linux and unix

Getting the most performance out of Centos6

Post by tremor77 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:12 am
([msg=62308]see Getting the most performance out of Centos6[/msg])

I just recently went all out with the lint in my pockets and purchased a dedicated server using Centos6. A Xeon Quad Core 3.2ghz with 8GB RAM. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for optimizing it for performance, especially for it's primary function of hosting game servers and secondary function of hosting LAMP.

I guess to be more specific, with only SSH access (no remote desktop or such) is there anyway to OC the CPU, create a ramdrive, etc.. things you might do to make this puppy run better than it's stock setup. What processes at startup that need to be eliminated.. etc.

I've already shut of SELinux... its supposedly an important security feature, but to me it looked like all it did was eat up system resouces, and gave me hell trying to setup vsftp and LAMP with some vhosts. What's your opinion on SELinux for this application?
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Getting the most performance out of Centos6

Post by VPR3 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:59 pm
([msg=62371]see Re: Getting the most performance out of Centos6[/msg])

I don't know of any linux utilities that will allow using ssh to over-clock. I've heard something about using vnc on a hardware level that could allow such things. The fastest over-clock I've seen on that processor is 3.6 with no voltage change. But I'm interested in looking into that more. SELinux I'm guessing try running it in permissive mode see what resources it eats up. I much prefer the idea installing the minimum packages to function as it needs to and locking down every thing else manually.
Last edited by VPR3 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by mShred on Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:35 pm
([msg=62373]see Re: Getting the most performance out of Centos6[/msg])

I just recently decided to give CentOS 6 a try. It's alright. Yeah, I've had a couple issues with it. I'm completely inexperienced with it. I'd have to mess with it more before I attempted to give anyone advice on it. But I'm also interested as well.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by pertti123 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:40 am
([msg=62395]see Re: Getting the most performance out of Centos6[/msg])

Ramdrive(sort of) is probably already mounted for you. I guess it's standard across Linux distributions.

$ mount
or
$ df -h

And look for /dev/shm or tmpfs.

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... /tmpfs.txt
pertti123
New User
New User

Return to *nix