Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?

Post by hellow533 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:44 pm
([msg=62331]see Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

Or is the newer-generation of hackers just people with Youtube videos who don't want to learn a damn thing? I'll admit, I use Youtube to help me, but some people don't even want to learn, they just want some sort of energy drink filled with 133t hacker skills.

And do you think HTS will become active again? I mean, like as active as it was when people wanted to learn how to hack.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?

Post by mShred on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:51 pm
([msg=62332]see Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

Personally, I see good things on the way with HTS. Its been picking up in activity, and less with the trolling. That applies for both forums and IRC. The recode is coming along pretty smoothly. Applications for positions are still open. So apply apply apply. HackThisSite is improving. And the way I see it, it will continue to do so.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by limdis on Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:53 pm
([msg=62333]see Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

Over the past couple of weeks there has been an increase in interests to learn. It has taken a bit of guidance because as you stated there are a lot of skiddies these days wanting shotgun answers. I have noticed a few times in the past month haxxor questions on the forums that have been turned around into some interesting threads, with guidance from other members not screaming for the banhammer right away.

I have heard of some interesting things coming up soon as well. New challenges and of course the recode.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by hellow533 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:07 pm
([msg=62334]see Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

I see what you mean, but those new missions, are you talking about the phone phreaking? I never actually tried much of that. Not to the extant of hacking anyways.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:44 pm
([msg=62335]see Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

I'm not sure what happened to the phone phreaking. To my knowledge it was supposed to be based on ancient techniques. Personally, I hope they are never implemented in that fashion. Phreaking is a hot topic these days in the media and newer methods are available to make these challenges up to date.

There has been mention of expanding old mission types with newer up to date challenges with the recode. I have heard a whisper of possible SE challenges. Also, somewhere along the way I do believe the staff is accepting mission submissions for new ideas.

Speaking of that (and directly to everyone who reads this) I think the community should submit missions for review! I mean why the hell not? We are going to be taking the challenges, why not share some knowledge and make up some. 8-)
limdis

Post by hellow533 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:17 am
([msg=62336]see Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

Well, I do suppose if you want even more stenography missions I could try on those. Their my favorite, after all. I also like the realistic missions. In all honesty, I think getting a bit of ideas from the whole community will benefit Hackthissite's missions. We might even get more active members with release of more missions.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 1amtinytim on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:33 am
([msg=62338]see Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

I didn't know what phone phreaking was, but after I googled it I realized I had known all a long ha. Just wasn't familiar with the term. Well I was listening to pandora just now and this ad came on right after and it peaked my interest. The new Motorola Droid Bionic is claiming to be able to access your PC. How likely do you think someone could phreak(hack) it?
1amtinytim
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:56 pm
([msg=62350]see Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

Perhaps HTS should take the method of YouTube hacking videos as a sign of what it should do to get more attention. Honestly I don't think HTS should go ahead and cater to todays skiddies, so I'd keep it professional. Maybe some videos about the 'why' rather than the 'how' in regards to various hacking methods. It's like a lot of people know the various methods to perform mysql injection but they don't really understand what these methods are doing... nor do they know how to improvise to achieve better results in the event that the standard cheat sheet isn't getting them anywhere.

I'd also like to see visual theme revamp.. I know it's petty but the site feels too 90's, too dark, too blackhat, to represent what I feel it has become. I count about a dozen (including myself) active, professional (at least they seem so) and intelligent posters on the forums who make an effort to respond to legitimate questions about security and technology... and I would like to see more of these types of questions (including general requests for help in coding, security, etc..) - I just believe the theme lends itself to getting a lot more of "Help me hack this website or crack this software" type of questions that it would if we looked more like http://www.governmentsecurity.org/forum/
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by hellow533 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:25 pm
([msg=62353]see Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:Perhaps HTS should take the method of YouTube hacking videos as a sign of what it should do to get more attention. Honestly I don't think HTS should go ahead and cater to todays skiddies, so I'd keep it professional. Maybe some videos about the 'why' rather than the 'how' in regards to various hacking methods. It's like a lot of people know the various methods to perform mysql injection but they don't really understand what these methods are doing... nor do they know how to improvise to achieve better results in the event that the standard cheat sheet isn't getting them anywhere.

I'd also like to see visual theme revamp.. I know it's petty but the site feels too 90's, too dark, too blackhat, to represent what I feel it has become. I count about a dozen (including myself) active, professional (at least they seem so) and intelligent posters on the forums who make an effort to respond to legitimate questions about security and technology... and I would like to see more of these types of questions (including general requests for help in coding, security, etc..) - I just believe the theme lends itself to getting a lot more of "Help me hack this website or crack this software" type of questions that it would if we looked more like http://www.governmentsecurity.org/forum/

I agree, but the theme you showed me is too... It seems common. I would much rather have something more technical for a learning site, rather than a hacking site.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by limdis on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:06 pm
([msg=62359]see Re: Will HTS ever get as active as it used to be?[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:Perhaps HTS should take the method of YouTube hacking videos as a sign of what it should do to get more attention. Honestly I don't think HTS should go ahead and cater to todays skiddies, so I'd keep it professional. Maybe some videos about the 'why' rather than the 'how' in regards to various hacking methods. It's like a lot of people know the various methods to perform mysql injection but they don't really understand what these methods are doing... nor do they know how to improvise to achieve better results in the event that the standard cheat sheet isn't getting them anywhere. <br><br>I'd also like to see visual theme revamp.. I know it's petty but the site feels too 90's, too dark, too blackhat, to represent what I feel it has become. I count about a dozen (including myself) active, professional (at least they seem so) and intelligent posters on the forums who make an effort to respond to legitimate questions about security and technology... and I would like to see more of these types of questions (including general requests for help in coding, security, etc..) - I just believe the theme lends itself to getting a lot more of "Help me hack this website or crack this software" type of questions that it would if we looked more like http://www.governmentsecurity.org/forum/

I was trying to hit on this in an earlier post </bump viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7977>

No, skiddies should not be catered to. But I don't think we should shun them away completely. Skiddies in my mind can be converted and have the potential to be taught. If they have enough interest to become skiddies if given proper guidance they can come out of that. Youtube might not be a bad idea, if someone were willing to make devote to it. As far as the theme goes, I kind of like the underground feel to it. If anything it's easier on the eyes lol.

I was talking to mShred the other day about membership and activity. We are both in agreement that activity has been increasing and from what I have seen this past month there is far less trolling than there has been in the past and more professional responses to threads. I also got a little update on the recode development and Kage and the staff have been working really hard to get things rolling. Yes, it really goes unseen... it was highly refreshing to hear they have been on top of it.
limdis

Next

Return to General