Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Your friend is being cheated out of hundreds of dollars. Help him make things even again!

Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.

Post by hellow533 on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:06 am
([msg=62674]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:
I'm new to Firebug, and the method of how it works for the first realistic mission. I've completed the mission but I'm not understanding why the process works if the altered code is not truly effecting the site's code. How does it work?

Use what you learned and at least start recon on /realistic #2.

-- Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:32 pm --

I know it sounds useless. Use the time to learn how to learn instead of learn how to beat the mission.

To the guy who has firebug.
Firebug works by editing and altering the html of a page. Now, firebug does have more features, but this is it's main one. It can also be used for cookies, which will come in handy to change your username/password values in later missions *not really spoiler?*.
I would also get user agent switcher that is another addon for firefox. It comes in handy too, as you should find out. Firefox has some nice addons really..
I also got ghostery. It wont help with any missions, but it's fun to see who's tracking your cookies and will let you easily block them. *theres other ways but this is already set up for you*.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by ElectroPlasma on Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:19 pm
([msg=62685]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

I don't understand something: Firebug changes YOUR copy of the web-page, the one your browser has downloaded for local viewing. If I edit a page with Firebug, and then refresh it, I see the old page. Knowing that, why is it that Firebug works for this mission? I don't want to give anything away, but everyone gets what I mean I think. Just, why should changing what happens on my end have anything to do with what the website does? You get what I mean?

-EP
ElectroPlasma
New User
New User

Post by conscience on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:20 am
([msg=62689]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

You miss the point. The web server sends data to the client (the browser in this case). You browser renders what it got into a web page. HTML forms let you set up data for the server and send it back (i.e. when you click the sumit button, the data of the fields in the form is sent to the web server). This makes up all: Editing the form on the page means you edit the values sent back. If you need more clarification, feel free to contact me via PM.
Last edited by conscience on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let him who has understanding recount the number of the beast, for it is a human number: His number is 0x029A.
conscience
Poster
Poster

Post by ElectroPlasma on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:43 pm
([msg=62699]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

Aaaaaah, got it, thanks. :)

-EP
ElectroPlasma
New User
New User

Post by URSvAir14 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:00 pm
([msg=62810]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

This is actually a really easy thing to do. If any of you are beggining to hack, and wondering what to do, then don't post spoilers like i did
--mShred
URSvAir14
New User
New User

Post by hellow533 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 pm
([msg=62812]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

^ Be careful about spoilers. They are not tolerated on HTS, and I don't mean to mini mod but you might get in trouble.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by conscience on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:36 pm
([msg=62814]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

URSvAir14 wrote:This is actually a really easy thing to do. If any of you are beggining to hack, ...

Not only spoilish, but stupid. Del...

NEVER spoon feed especially something that's not optimal by any means and has lots of alternatives. :x
Let him who has understanding recount the number of the beast, for it is a human number: His number is 0x029A.
conscience
Poster
Poster

Post by antnik on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:36 pm
([msg=63173]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

I need help. I completed realistic 2 but I am really stuck on this one. The problem is that when I vote nothing happen's to the numbers (when I checked the source I can see that the number of votes is in a pharagraph which means that when sombody votes nothing happens. I am totally lost can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong.

EDIT: I got it. I would of never thought that it would be that simple.
Last edited by antnik on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antnik
New User
New User

Post by conscience on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:11 pm
([msg=63185]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

antnik wrote:I need help. I completed realistic 2 but I am really stuck on this one. The problem is that when I vote nothing happen's to the numbers (when I checked the source I can see that the number of votes is in a pharagraph which means that when sombody votes nothing happens. I am totally lost can someone tell me if I am doing something wrong.

Since this is a simulated case, don't expect band ratings to change. Instead you just have to take the appropriate band to the top by setting its rating to the highest - the way you do this is the solution to the mission, so I can't tell ya more without spoiling.
conscience
Poster
Poster

Post by strongard on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:33 am
([msg=64345]see Re: Please ask questions ONLY in this topic.[/msg])

about this challenge

I red the 65 pages of the forum many time and they did not help instead they confuse and here why

everyone says that we need to save , paste as .html then execute the script
but I wonder if they know the difference between PHP AND HTML

html file can be executed by the browser but php file can not be executed by the browser but only by the server
what follows that when the browser executes the file html , it says firefox does not find file:///C:......./v.php , it says so because
firefox can not executes php file

I red about change the path and tutorial for beginners , and I tried all type of pathes , all combinations like www.hacht.../desktop/v.php?querystring.....pairs , but with no result

as for firebug I know about it and it has the same thing as manually changing the file , it does nothing special and IS NOT NEEDED AT ALL

THE ESSENCE OF THIS CHALLENGE IS THIS "URL SKILLS" pathes skills+get form skills
my question IS

what is the HELPFUL hint thAT COMBINEs THE FILE C:///ADMIN.../desktop path with the www.hackthissite.org needed to be put in the url in order to find access granted
all other issues are easy

please help
strongard
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to (Real 1) Uncle Arnold's Local Band Review