Pinging

Bad threads go here

Pinging

Post by crowoy on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:53 pm
([msg=61779]see Pinging[/msg])

To be honest, I have no idea what Pinging is about or what it does. I've just heard that it can crash websites and computers. Just wondering how you do it and if you can do it crossplatform. Thanks.
User avatar
crowoy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:24 am
Location: UK
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Pinging

Post by edone automaton on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:50 am
([msg=61797]see Re: Pinging[/msg])

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
User avatar
edone automaton
Poster
Poster
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Pinging

Post by crowoy on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:00 pm
([msg=61830]see Re: Pinging[/msg])

Thanks. I found out how to ping in command prompt. But this method doesn't really work because it only sends 4 pints. There is no way I am going to crash a computer at that rate. Any idea how to?
User avatar
crowoy
New User
New User
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:24 am
Location: UK
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Pinging

Post by mShred on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:20 pm
([msg=61832]see Re: Pinging[/msg])

Try looking here. http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005 ... arameters/
If you've ever used a command prompt or terminal, you'll know that most commands have parameters. The parameters are specifications to the program that will tell it exactly what you wanna do. In this case, ping google.com -n 5 will send five packets, rather than the default of four. But don't think that sending a shit ton of huge pings to a server will crash it. As you've probably read, it's an obsolete attack.
Image

For those about to rock.
User avatar
mShred
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1715
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Pinging

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:55 pm
([msg=61835]see Re: Pinging[/msg])

Look up what Botnets are and what their primary use can be other than sending spam. Also look up the LOIC and what 4chan and anonymous have been able to accomplish.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
User avatar
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 1:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Pinging

Post by tremor77 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:15 pm
([msg=61843]see Re: Pinging[/msg])

crowoy wrote:Thanks. I found out how to ping in command prompt. But this method doesn't really work because it only sends 4 pints. There is no way I am going to crash a computer at that rate. Any idea how to?


That's because you just type "ping site"

Try this now "ping /?"

You will get all the various command line options that ping offers.

Homework assignment.. write a BATCH script to automate pings to several sites and return information about them. Command line ping can be very powerful, just dive into the options available to you, and do your research.
Image
User avatar
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: New York
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Pinging

Post by MNP_Hikaru on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:26 pm
([msg=61844]see Re: Pinging[/msg])

tremor77 wrote:Homework assignment.. write a BATCH script to automate pings to several sites and return information about them. Command line ping can be very powerful, just dive into the options available to you, and do your research.


That. That right there. That is something we should be doing more on the site - Instead of just saying "Pinging has parameters and does other things, go learn", actually challenging the person asking the question and giving them a goal. I like it. And I'm also taking on this ''homework'' because I like it so much.

+1
One of these days there's gonna be a real profound quote down here.
User avatar
MNP_Hikaru
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Pinging

Post by mShred on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:07 pm
([msg=61850]see Re: Pinging[/msg])

MNP_Hikaru wrote:That. That right there. That is something we should be doing more on the site - Instead of just saying "Pinging has parameters and does other things, go learn", actually challenging the person asking the question and giving them a goal. I like it. And I'm also taking on this ''homework'' because I like it so much.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. It seems to me like the above posts are all useful to the OP. The way I see it, your post, minus this one, was the least helpful to crowoy.
Image

For those about to rock.
User avatar
mShred
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 1715
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)


Re: Pinging

Post by tremor77 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:36 pm
([msg=61853]see Re: Pinging[/msg])

mShred wrote:
MNP_Hikaru wrote:That. That right there. That is something we should be doing more on the site - Instead of just saying "Pinging has parameters and does other things, go learn", actually challenging the person asking the question and giving them a goal. I like it. And I'm also taking on this ''homework'' because I like it so much.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. It seems to me like the above posts are all useful to the OP. The way I see it, your post, minus this one, was the least helpful to crowoy.


I think he means he just likes the idea of extending the discussion in a thread to creating an actual goal or mission... 'take what we've informed you about, and try X,Y,Z.'

To extend what I was talking about making also, I have a shell script that runs and pings various sites and services that I run every X minutes... as I don't like to have downtime - whether it be a website, game server (oh nooooes minecraft is down), etc..., if the script returns 'unreachable', it sends me an SMS so that I know something has crashed... therefor dropping everything I'm doing and firing up the nearest terminal I can to fix it.
Image
User avatar
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: New York
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: Pinging

Post by limdis on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:03 pm
([msg=61858]see Re: Pinging[/msg])

MNP_Hikaru wrote:
tremor77 wrote:Homework assignment.. write a BATCH script to automate pings to several sites and return information about them. Command line ping can be very powerful, just dive into the options available to you, and do your research.

That. That right there. That is something we should be doing more on the site - Instead of just saying "Pinging has parameters and does other things, go learn", actually challenging the person asking the question and giving them a goal. I like it. And I'm also taking on this ''homework'' because I like it so much.
+1


I agree with this, challenging those who asked questions to do a little test to ensure and assist in learning. This is an outstanding idea! Now for crowoy, you need to be careful when writing batch scripts. DO NOT just copy and paste already written script and go go go. Make sure you know what everything is BEFORE you execute. I suggest that when you have some of this down that you post the code here so we can make sure you are doing everything right.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
User avatar
limdis
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1349
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Next

Return to Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests