Laptop for pentesting

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

Laptop for pentesting

Post by AZ_ on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:05 pm
([msg=61724]see Laptop for pentesting[/msg])

Did a search, no results.

Looking for a laptop that is lightweight and portable with a good amount of memory and disk space. I plan on running Ubuntu 11.04, Backtrack, and Windows(because it comes with it). Battery life is important as well. The longer the better(that's what she said). Affordable>perks.
AZ_
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Laptop for pentesting

Post by mShred on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:15 pm
([msg=61741]see Re: Laptop for pentesting[/msg])

Any netbook would do.. Really if you're pentesting, you could just run backtrack off a liveCD. As well as keep Ubuntu, and even ditch Windows if you'd like.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by jgreen45 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:11 am
([msg=62598]see Re: Laptop for pentesting[/msg])

As soon as i saw the word backtrack all i could think of was this

I'm a bad person.
I can't come to bed...
Someone is WRONG on the internet

http://xkcd.com/386/
jgreen45
Poster
Poster

Post by VPR3 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:49 pm
([msg=62627]see Re: Laptop for pentesting[/msg])

If your in the US go to your local walmart spend 399$.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:11 pm
([msg=62630]see Re: Laptop for pentesting[/msg])

jgreen45 wrote:As soon as i saw the word backtrack all i could think of was this

I'm a bad person.

I watched that, and spent the subsequent 4 hours watching other things related to it, and reading a "Know your Meme", and Wikipedia article on her...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by edone automaton on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:44 am
([msg=62631]see Re: Laptop for pentesting[/msg])

AZ_ wrote:
and Windows(because it comes with it)

It doesn't have to. There are a lot of sites where you can specify exactly what you want and they will build it for you, so you choose weight, battery life, matte or gloss screen, os or no os, amount of usb ports, blah, blah, blah.... at a cost of course.

I think its very difficult to specify an ideal laptop for pentesting, its just a laptop with some pentesting software on it, so what you need to do is decide what is important to you (you already have in as much as you want it to be lightweight with a long battery life). You then need to factor in price and whatever else affects your buying choices and then continue as you would otherwise.

I have backtrack on a decent sized thumb drive and as such, whatever I plug it into becomes a pentesting environment. I also have a nice little samsung netbook which cost me under £200 which is very handy for going out and about and has never had any trouble doing anything I asked of it.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Return to Hardware