cookie digger

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

cookie digger

Post by cool4dmin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:42 am
([msg=61695]see cookie digger[/msg])

Hi,
I tested the cookie digger tools from foundstone. But it couldn't get the cookies of the site.
what's the problem?
cool4dmin
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: cookie digger

Post by tremor77 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:00 am
([msg=61699]see Re: cookie digger[/msg])

cool4dmin wrote:Hi,
I tested the cookie digger tools from foundstone. But it couldn't get the cookies of the site.
what's the problem?

Cookies are not stored on websites.. they are stored on the computers of those who are browsing the website, so that the website will be able to retrieve information on those users when they make a return visit. Cookie digger will not get you the cookies, but it will tell you what type of information the cookie -would be- storing.. and whether or not said information was encrypted and/or important (like usernames and passwords)

CookieDigger helps identify weak cookie generation and insecure implementations of session management by web applications. The tool works by collecting and analyzing cookies issued by a web application for multiple users. The tool reports on the predictability and entropy of the cookie and whether critical information, such as user name and password, are included in the cookie values.

On another note - I didnt know about this particular software.. when I googled it I found a treasure trove of freesofts from McAfee - I need to remember where they are for later.. so - tremor this links for you - http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/index.aspx
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cool4dmin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:51 pm
([msg=61727]see Re: cookie digger[/msg])

Thanks tremor77,
But cookiedigger can get the cookies. because it uses from IE Browser to browse the site. then u determine the page contained session token with multiple username and password. then cookiedigger tries to gather some cookies from those accounts.
see it:
http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/white-papers/foundstone/wp-using-cookiedigger-web-session-mgmt.pdf
cool4dmin
New User
New User

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 pm
([msg=61728]see Re: cookie digger[/msg])

On another note - I didnt know about this particular software.. when I googled it I found a treasure trove of freesofts from McAfee - I need to remember where they are for later.. so - tremor this links for you - http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free ... index.aspx

Sweet deal and yet another reason why doing research pays off.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Return to Web