My laptop won't play any games

Intel or AMD? nVidia or ATI? Lenovo or ASUS? All things computing hardware go here

My laptop won't play any games

Post by sodapop101 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 pm
([msg=61211]see My laptop won't play any games[/msg])

I was just wondering if any techies could help me out. I have an HP Pavilion dv5-2074dx laptop and it doesn't let me play any games. I've tried WoW, didn't work. I tried an older game like the Sims (original ones) and it doesn't work. The games can install but when I try to run them I get a directx or a video/graphic card error. I have updated all my drivers and have the latest version of directx. I have also tried googling but was unable to find anything relating to my issue.
sodapop101
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: My laptop won't play any games

Post by centip3de on Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:48 am
([msg=61213]see Re: My laptop won't play any games[/msg])

sodapop101 wrote:I was just wondering if any techies could help me out. I have an HP Pavilion dv5-2074dx laptop and it doesn't let me play any games. I've tried WoW, didn't work. I tried an older game like the Sims (original ones) and it doesn't work. The games can install but when I try to run them I get a directx or a video/graphic card error. I have updated all my drivers and have the latest version of directx. I have also tried googling but was unable to find anything relating to my issue.

It'd be helpful if we could see the error... What it sounds like to me is a faulty driver.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Re: My laptop won't play any games

Post by tremor77 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:18 pm
([msg=61320]see Re: My laptop won't play any games[/msg])

How about specs? Getting from here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=4278971&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

and - Assuming: 2.13GHz Intel Core i3-330M Processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit as a default package for that model.

It's video is lacking - Video Graphics Intel HD Graphics - Video Memory Up to 1274MB - and may not support the latest directX.

I dug this up quick - which may mean you are screwed... I suppose you could potentially roll back to an older directX version and try running some things in a compatibility mode.

Code: Select all
Microsoft DirectX* is a set of APIs (Application Programming Interface) for games and multimedia applications. Some DirectX components require support from the graphics driver in order to function properly and provide the best gaming performance.

Intel® graphics controllers are compatible with Microsoft DirectX* 9.0. Previous versions of DirectX (7.0a, 8.0, 8.1) are also supported.

DirectX* 10 is supported only with the Intel® G35, G41, G43, & G45 Express Chipsets, Mobile Intel® GL40, GM45, GM965, & GS45 Express Chipsets, and Intel® HD Graphics when using the latest Intel® graphics drivers for Microsoft Windows Vista* or Windows 7*.

DirectX* 10.1 is supported only with 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Hardware