3g network faking

EDGE or EVDO? GSM or CDMA? Discuss phone networks and standards here.

3g network faking

Post by K-roy on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 pm
([msg=60976]see 3g network faking[/msg])

Hi guys.
I remember reading about smartphone security etc.
And somthing about ppl. faking 3g networks, so they would get nearby phones to connect, and thereby sniffing data from phones...

Is this me remebering all wrong (did some quick googling on it with no results).
or do anyone have some knowlegde about this?
K-roy
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 3g network faking

Post by centip3de on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:24 pm
([msg=60999]see Re: 3g network faking[/msg])

K-roy wrote:Hi guys.
I remember reading about smartphone security etc.
And somthing about ppl. faking 3g networks, so they would get nearby phones to connect, and thereby sniffing data from phones...

Is this me remebering all wrong (did some quick googling on it with no results).
or do anyone have some knowlegde about this?

This wouldn't make much sense to me, because I'm sure that each 3G tower has it's own identifier for each phone. If there was none, wouldn't AT&T be able to pick up Verizon's 3G, and so on and so forth? I'm sure they have a pretty hefty encryption too, so even if you were able to sniff the data, you would also have to decrypt it. With all of that said, this is sounding highly improbable.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by VPR3 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:16 pm
([msg=61006]see Re: 3g network faking[/msg])

Well all 3G phones were hacked this year at Defcon. Not to mention some guy actually spoofed a cell tower. So much for security...
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:36 pm
([msg=61008]see Re: 3g network faking[/msg])

Slightly off topic, but it does fit in with being able to use phones with no tower.
http://www.fastcompany.com/1774515/lifenet-a-simple-communications-system-that-works-when-cell-phones-internet-are-down
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:18 pm
([msg=61009]see Re: 3g network faking[/msg])

Wow... :o ... I'd like to retract my statement...
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to Telecommunications